Translation of Chat plugin - Unable to create a .mo file

Hello,

1/
With this plugin in /languages we just have a .pot file
When I save this .pot file I get this error message :
"Il y a eu un problème lors du formatage du fichier (mais il a été enregistré correctement)."
=> in English : "There was a problem when formatting the file (but it has been properly recorded)."
OK, let's see, maybe this message is not dramatic.

2/
The only way to get a .po file in order to generate then a .mo file is to rename the .pot file extension in 'wordpress-chat.po'. It works and I can translate wordings with the .po file.

3/
BUT, when I try to save it (the .po file), I get a new error message :
"Les entrées avec des erreurs ont été marquées en rouge dans la liste. Les détails de l'erreur seront affichés lorsque vous sélectionnez une telle entrée.
Le fichier a été enregistré en toute sécurité, mais il ne peut pas être compilé dans le format MO et utilisé."
=> in English : "Entries with errors are marked red in the list. The details of the error will be displayed when you select such an entry.
The file was saved safely, but it can not be compiled into the format used MO."
As a result I am not able to generate a .mo file, so I can't translate the plugin.

--
Please could you tell me where I'm wrong ? You confirm we have to deal with .po and .mo files to traduce the plugin, not only the .pot file ?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Laurent

• Patrick

Hi there @Laurent

I hope you're well today!

I presume you are using PoEdit for your translating? If so, you can use either a .pot or .po file as your starting point.

When you save your translation, PoEdit should generate the .mo file automatically.

However, if you are translating one of our products, you may wish to use our translation area for that. It's much simpler, and it works. :wink:

Simply select the product you want to translate here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/translate/projects

Then select the language you want to translate it to. If that language doesn't already exist in the list, scroll to the bottom of the page and select the right locale (for ex: fr_CA), then select it in the list.

Once you're done translating, scroll to the bottom of the page and select to Export the files you need.

I hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

• Laurent

Hi Patrick and thanks a lot for this tip.

Yes, I was doing it with PoEdit. Now I'll use your tool.
    However, could you explain me how to add new translations ? The ones listed concerned only the back-office part, not the frontend I need. I'm look for the frontend wordings.
    Are they somewhere or maybe do I need to add them manually. How to do it, how to add new wordings in the existing list ? And how to make the link with the wordings in the .Pot file ? I guess that firstly we need to upload the .pot on your tool ? Maybe the 'Chat' version in this language tool is not the last one ?

Thank you,
    Regards,
    Laurent

• Sajid

Hi @Laurent

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

All translations strings of plugin (frontend and backend) should be in sample wordpress-chat.pot file. That you can find in /plugins/wordpress-chat/languages folder.

Let me know what particular string you are looking for ? So I can find it in file myself and report developer if not exists.

Yes you can add them in plugin if you know coding. There is no other way using which you can not add your own language strings, for translations, your self. Let us know what strings are missing so we can find our selves and/or may add them in plugin for future versions.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.