Translation of plugins – scheme

About translation:

1) To get the translation I have to approve each line (smb has already translated) at the special page (for example: https://premium.wpmudev.org/translate/projects/wdeb/ru/default?page=5) – then I can export the .po or .mo and put it (.mo) to the language dir of the plugin. Is this correct?

2) Why should I translate at the special page (at wpmudev site) but in Poedit App (for example)?

3) When plugin will be updated what happen with the .mo? Deleted? Modified some how? (How can I safe .mo)

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @eugene

Welcome to WPMU community!

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

1) Yes, you are right. Also you need to define your language code in your wp-config.php.

2) It’s not “you should”, it’s “you can” :slight_smile: We suggest to use our translate project so that you can contribute in the translation project (anyone can) and users can download from there, also there is an option of earning points, so any user who will download the mo files can gift you points. But sure, you can use poedit too.

3) When the plugin will be updated, if any new text is added in there, new default language file will be uploaded in our system. And the only the new text needs to be translated. Same as for poedit.

Please let me know if you find this is helpful, or if you have any further questions.

Cheers

Ash

• Eugene
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Thanks for your answers!

3) When the plugin will be updated, if any new text is added in there, new default language file will be uploaded in our system. And the only the new text needs to be translated. Same as for poedit.

So, when the plugin will be updated the .mo file won’t be deleted (will be saved)?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.