trouble configuring

I installed Multi-Domains. Following the directions successfully including upgrading to a dedicated IP address. But the single signon was still not working, even though it was setup properly in settings with both domains added as "public".

The next suggestion in the problem solving directions was to get my hosting service to configure WPMU virtualhost to be the default for my dedicated IP. My hosting service is Bluehost. They enable me to manage my setup using C-Panel. And they tell me that this is beyond their knowledge and scope (see script from Live Chat session on topic below).

The screenshot showing how to configure the domains on "my server" do not use C-Panel nor C-Panel jargon. C-Panel does have DNS Zone Editor. Do I configure here? Can you provide explicit C-Panel instructions on how to get this done.

thanks, Mark

--- Live Chat Script --- BELOW ---

[Initial Question] Provider: Bluehost - My Domain is: "businessprojectsexchange.com" need to configure WPMU virtualhost to be the default for my dedicated IP... not sure how

(12:56) [Benjamin B.] Okay, that's not something I can assist you with.
(12:56) [mark] do you know who can?
(12:57) [Benjamin B.] https://premium.wpmudev.org/support/
(12:58) [mark] does c-panel give me sufficient control that configure from there?
(12:59) [mark] wpmu directions said to have you host configure it... that is why i am asking.
(13:0) [mark] if i understand you correctly, you are saying that it is not something configured by bluehost. correct?
(13:0) [mark] and you are suggesting that i should be able to do this on my own with wpmu support?
(13:0) [Benjamin B.] You load the software on our server, we don't configure it for you though
(13:1) [mark] including dns?
(13:2) [Benjamin B.] If you want to edit your DNS records you do that by clicking on the DNS Zone Editor in your cPanel
(13:2) [mark] ok. i will go back to wpmu. thanks.

• aecnu

Greetings Mark,

Sorry to see that your host is clueless and/or does not support WordPress MultiSites as we would anticipate they would/should, that is the disadvantage of not selecting a WordPress centered host with WordPress centered technicians though most due in fact claim they "support WordPress"

WPMU virtualhost to be the default for my dedicated IP - which simply means that the main domain is the only domain that your dedicated IP is assigned to which due to the newness of your dedicated IP I have been unable to determine if this is indeed a fact.

However, if you do not mind, I would like to drop back forty and punt and ask why you have chosen MultiDomains? What is your intended use sir?

The reason why I ask is many folks make this a mistake choosing MultiDomains when in fact the intended use or end game they want is indeed fulfilled by Domain Mapping.

This may take a little more time to explain the intended use but also save on getting it running only to find that it is not what you really wanted in the first place.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings Mark,

Well sir i am trying to figure out what you wanted to do with MultiDomains and that being MultiDomains would be used if you wanted to create a MultiSite that allows end users to sign up for subsites under both domains i.e. user1.firstdomain.com user2.seconddomain.com

Now on the other hand if you wanted to map domains to sub sites of of domainone.com then this would indeed be the job of the Domain Mapping plugin.

However, if you were wanting either of these items or both on a single MultiSite installation, and you can envision a network of networks, I personally use Networks for WordPress plugin which does all of the above and more.

Check it out and try it out and let me know what you think and how it works out for you.

Look forward to hearing form you in any event.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings Mark,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• mark128green

Joe,
    Sorry it took so long... was out the country on another job... back at it today.

I installed Networks for WordPress plugin and commented out DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE in your wp-config.php file.

Went into "Multi-Domains" under Network Settings and added my two domains. Single Signon is enabled.

Didn't work automatically. So went to Plugin FAQ and read the following...

How do I set up new domains as networks with a single WordPress install?

Your webserver must direct requests for each domain you want to use to your WordPress install's filesystem location.

Here's a quick overview:
    1.DNS should resolve each desired domain to your web server.
    2.Configure your web server to direct requests for each desired domain to the same site (e.g. via ServerAlias directives or Host Headers)

Tip: You can use the New Network Preview feature to verify DNS and server configuration BEFORE creating your networks.

Could not find any menu that had "New Network Preview" feature. I use Bluehost.com as my hosting company... I had them set my primary domain as the root. I am not clear on what I am asking my hosting company to do for with the other domain. They have three options in their domain management area: Primary (1 allowed), Addon (as many as you like), and Parked (again as many as you like). Addon gives you another "home page" while Parked points you to your Primary "home page". I am hoping this makes sense.

So I have 2 domains that I want to share signons. 1 is Primary and the other is currently Addon so I can use another theme for it.

How do I see "New Network Preview"? Or what exact actions do I need to do to get plugin working properly and test it?

My hosting company does not offer theme or plugin support. If it is helpful, I can setup a Live Session to share my screen. Also open to suggestions.

Thanks for your help!

Mark

• aecnu

Greetings Mark,

Thank you for the detailed information and clarifications.

How do I see "New Network Preview"?

Logged into the network admin dashboard go to --> Sites --> Networks --> right column screen shot below

Or what exact actions do I need to do to get plugin working properly and test it?

I think the above screen will clue you in to everything you need to get going on this.

My hosting company does not offer theme or plugin support.

You picked the wrong hosting company ... lol ... if there is a next time around or you get tired of bandwidth throttling check out wpmu-hosting.com

Let me know if the above Networks for WordPress information does the job for us.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.