Trouble integrating Social Login/Registration with Membership Plugin ... has to be a better way

Hello,

I just integrated Membership into one of my client's websites. They are very active in the social media world, so I also integrated One All Social Login:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/oa-social-login/

I configured both plugins, and started to dig deeper into each plugin, and I have a few questions about how to make the process a bit easier and streamlined.

First, I noticed that when I used the "registration page" through Membership, I was unable to integrate the social registration/login to interact with the Membership plugin.

My solution was to disable the registration page through Membership, then choose a default subscription for a user that registers through any Wordpress registration method.

Now I send people to the regular Wordpress registration (I styled it for branding cohesiveness), and they have the option to register/login with their social accounts.

Problems with this method:

First, I set up a message to be sent to a new user through Membership. If they use the regular Membership registration, the message is sent to them. However, if another registration method is used, and we are adding the default subscription automatically, the message does not send.

Second, If I needed more that one subscription (I only need a free subscription right now), this method would now work, because in order to choose a tier, I would have to enable the Membership registration page method again (which can't have social registration/login integration).

Third, by having to use the regular Wordpress registration method, I am unable to allow users to fill in other information about themselves that I may want to collect, such as their name, phone number, etc ... this is unnecessary for this website, but I am thinking about future sites (I am currently working on the design for another socially oriented membership site).

Fourth ... I'll get back to you. I feel like this method is "good enough", but not future proof by any means, and it feels like there's a better way lurking out there in the shadows.

Let's talk this out, because social login isn't going anywhere, and this discussion thread can be useful for many types of websites.

I'm sure I missed something, but we'll hash it out and see what rears its head.

Thanks for your help!

Tyler Postle

Hey Mediastead,

Thanks for your question and also all of the detail Knowing the situation often helps quite a bit in finding a solution.

In this case, I think creating a custom registration form using something like gravity forms or formidable pro would be your best bet. I'm sure there are other registration form plugins too.

You can set it to redirect the user to the subscription page once registered. You can do this on a form by form basis so the user doesn't have to redirect to the subscription page if they aren't there for a subscription. You could even include that in the form "Do you want a subscription" and if they select "Yes" then have them set to the subscription page, if not have it send them to the home page or welcome page.

Here is some info on how the gravity forms confirmation logic works: http://www.gravityhelp.com/gravity-forms-1-7-new-confirmations/ again, I'm sure other plugins may have a similar functionality.

This sort of setup will give you a TON more customization when it comes to registering users. Most registration form plugins also have social login add-ons or have it built in.

Hope that helps! As always, let me know if you have further questions on this or just want to add something to the topic

All the best,
    Tyler

mediastead

Tyler,

Thanks for the reply.

I see a few issues that I would like to ask about.

First, if I use a plugin to create a custom registration page, and I use their social login functionality, that means that the login page won't have social login. So, if I do it this way, I'll still have to use a second social login plugin to place the social login on the login page, correct?

The second issue with that (is it an issue?) is that is there are two separate plugins using social login, with the user be logged twice for the same social network depending on which social login they use at any given point in time?

So, if I don't set a default subscription, and I just have them register and send them to the subscription page, they'll be able to choose a subscription then? And if they choose NOT to have a subscription and they just register without choosing a subscription, everything will still run smoothly?

Great conversation so far. Thanks!

Tyler Postle

Hey Medistead,

First, if I use a plugin to create a custom registration page, and I use their social login functionality, that means that the login page won't have social login.

Either social login should still work fine after the user is registered, you shouldn't have to use both If you do use both, then once your logged in I would think that it wouldn't allow you to social login again. Most logins I'll built this way that it checks if your logged in or not before it will allow you to try.

So, if I don't set a default subscription, and I just have them register and send them to the subscription page, they'll be able to choose a subscription then?

Exactly!

And if they choose NOT to have a subscription and they just register without choosing a subscription, everything will still run smoothly?

Right again! You will want to set up 2 confirmation logics. One for if they choose "Yes" to wanting a membership or however you want to ask them then another one for if they choose "No". If they choose yes they end up on the subscription page and if they choose no they will end up on whatever page you send them to, or just stay on the same page and give them a confirmation message like "Thanks for registering! etc."

Hope that helps

If you still have more to discuss here just let us know!

Cheers,
    Tyler