Trouble Logging In and Out of wp-admin on Long Established Site

Yesterday my client advised that she was having trouble accessing wp-admin on the site at https://bowmanvillegolf.ca/ I have been playing with it for about 12 hours and can't figure out what the problem is. I have rename wp-login.php set up via All In One Security, and I have also added the rename wp-login.php separate plugin.

I have done a complete plugin conflict test and have changed themes. The issue is intermittent. Sometimes I can login at wp-login.php. Sometimes I can long directly at wp-admin.

What happens is that when I put in username and password, when it loads, they just disappear.

I have tried removing .htaccess. I have verified that all is good in wp-config.php. My users still have admin roles. I have not added any new plugins (with the exception of Rename wp-login.php after the fact).

The same thing is happening with https://3zoneshockey.com/ and tooleyspainting.com/
Support Access is granted.
Thank you.

• Mary

Update: I have tracked this down the the rename wp-login.php feature of all security plugins and the "rename wp-login.php" plugin itself.

If I don't use that feature then all is well. If I use it by activating the specific "rename" plugin, or if I activate "rename wp-login.php" feature in Wordfence, or All In One Security or Shield then I have problems.

For now I have de-activated that option but am feeling vulnerable.

• James Morris

Hello Mary,

I hope you are well today.

I'm glad you were able to get this sorted out so that you could access wp-admin again. There's a few things that can cause issues with plugins that rename wp-admin & wp-login.php links. Generally it's a conflict, but sometimes it can be cache related.

I've found that it's good to rename this URL, but it's only 1 layer in security. If you have a good setup with good security plugins like Defender or iThemes, generally this is not a big deal. Anything that will protect against brute force attacks will negate the need for this.

However, if this is something you absolutely want to have on your site, I can take a look and see if I can find where the problem is occurring.

In order to help you better with this issue, would you please grant me access to your site and server?

Please visit the Contact page and complete the form with the following information:

Subject: "Attn: James Morris"

In the Message box, please provide the following:

- link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

- Admin login:
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- FTP credentials
    host
    username
    password