Trouble Replacing text header with link Image

First, Tammy, txs much for this theme. After reading Responsive Web Design book and searching thru 100s themes I was relief to find SimpleMarket...GREAT time saver. I put all my questions together hoping it would be more efficient:

1. Created child-theme header.php, but I can't figure out how to place my image as link to home page where the site title/link is (checked all the forum posts on it and created & deleted the header.php in child theme since couldn't get the code right).

2. I need to hide the side bar widgets for some pages (got a plug in for it) but can't find one that would allow me to hide the social media buttons one. Do you know of a plugin that can help me?

3. The media gallery you display in the demo, is that as a separate widget or was that a post? I need a media/photo gallery that is responsive as well. Any hints?

4. Eventually (2-3 weeks) this simplemarket (narratology.info) site will have a community and I'm looking at your BuddyPress Social, but I haven't done a site that uses two separate themes so I need some good pointers on how to execute this right.

5. For point 4 I'm planning running an A/B testing where the front page of the community is tested with some visitors and the front page of the blog with others. Planning on using your A/B testing plugin and need some samples of your executions of it, possible?

6. Dumb question, best way to turn off comments on certain pages in simplemarket is...?

Thanks again and look forward to any and all responsive design work you do since I'll launching other sites that way!!!

• DavidM

Hi spearwolf and first off, welcome to WPMU DEV! I'll go through these questions with you inline.

1. Created child-theme header.php, but I can't figure out how to place my image as link to home page where the site title/link is (checked all the forum posts on it and created & deleted the header.php in child theme since couldn't get the code right).

I'm not sure where you trying to add that but you can always test where things are getting output on your site by using some quick test code like the following:
    <?php echo "testing!"; ?">

2. I need to hide the side bar widgets for some pages (got a plug in for it) but can't find one that would allow me to hide the social media buttons one. Do you know of a plugin that can help me?

That really depends on the plugin you're referring to but generally, Widget Logic works great for these types of cases. You can use the template function is_page() for displaying a particular widget on a particular page with that.

3. The media gallery you display in the demo, is that as a separate widget or was that a post? I need a media/photo gallery that is responsive as well. Any hints?

I'm not really sure which page you're referring to on this one. Is it the product listing? If so, the theme works alongside our e-Commerce plugin MarketPress. The demo site also links to the FrameMarket demo, so perhaps that's what you're referring to?

4. Eventually (2-3 weeks) this simplemarket (narratology.info) site will have a community and I'm looking at your BuddyPress Social, but I haven't done a site that uses two separate themes so I need some good pointers on how to execute this right.

You generally wouldn't use 2 separate themes on a single site, you might do something like that using Multisite though. I couldn't really advise on using 2 themes on a single WP site myself, as I've not seen that done. Seems a bit of custom work may be in order for that.

5. For point 4 I'm planning running an A/B testing where the front page of the community is tested with some visitors and the front page of the blog with others. Planning on using your A/B testing plugin and need some samples of your executions of it, possible?

There's not SimpleMarket-specific demonstration of the A/B testing plugin, though it's not really theme dependent itself. This site and the blog at WPMU.org should serve as a few examples of the plugin in use though.

6. Dumb question, best way to turn off comments on certain pages in simplemarket is...?

You can turn off comments individually on a page/post basis, in the editor page.

Hope that helps, some of these items may best be done with separate threads, as discussion on all these items in a single thread could lead to one massive thread. If you have more specific questions on these, we can take a good look at them through individual posts.

Otherwise for simple questions, we can go through them here.

-David

• spearwolf

hi David, Txs.

1. this is the site http://www.narratology.info (still need help with hiding title and placing a logo image on its place)

2. thanks, will try those tips.

3. this page http://wp-ecommerce.org/store1/2011/07/11/this-is-a-gallery/

4. Could then I just add one of the buddypress widgest for communities?

5. ok.

6. found it.

Do I submit No. separately or can we keep it here since it is still the one in the subject that I really need to resolve?

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there! :slight_smile:

Just checking in to see how things are going with this one and if you need any further help. :slight_smile:

We haven't heard from you on this thread for a while, perhaps you got help over our email. I'm going to presume your all fixed up now and don't need any further assistance.

However if you have more questions or need some more help then please feel free to respond in this thread or create a new one and we will be more than happy to offer assistance. :slight_smile:

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.