Trouble with setting up pages inside Marketpress

I have a customer who has 3 main general navigational menu items and a lot of sub-menu items (styles) so I created a site that has the three generals as the main nav menus then divided the subs into sub-menus (see http://sunsetsunglasses.com/new). Everything works except I can't figure out how to populate the main menu pages with proper content. I thought about using shortcodes but can't find info about how to create the shortcode with only the info for that menu item (I do not know php/css so the attributes explanations are above my head).

Could someone look at this site and tell me how to easily populate the "general categories", "authentic sunglasses" and "designer inspired" pages with either a dropdown that contains only the associated products or some other solution - other than doing hem one by one?

• perrydyse

No, the categories are the sub-menus and that's my problem. For instance, the main menu item called "designer inspired" there are 57 sub-menu items that are product categories (i.e Oakley inspired, RayBan inspired, etc.).

The pages that are sub-items populate fine because i used the shortcode for the specific category for each page.

I thought of a possible way to display these 3 main menu pages but I don't think it's the best way. I think I could place each menu name in a product tag then use a shortcode for product

[mp_list_products paginate="true" page="1" per_page="10" order_by="price" order="DESC" tag="designer-insprired"]

I would prefer to have a dropdown that would only show the associated products. Is there a way to do that?

• perrydyse

Would it make more sense if I made a category for the top 3 menu item names then make all of the sub menu items sub-categories? Right now I just have all of the products as main categories.

For instance, if I created a category called "general" then placed "Aviators", "Men's", "Women's", "Goggles", etc. under the parent (general), would that solve a problem that I may have created for myself?

Then, if there's a way to segregate a specific category (and subs) into the dropdown shortcode, it would work. Is that possible to do?

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @perrydyse,

Sorry about delay, but due to time differences I was awaiting to speak with the lead developer :slight_smile:

For instance, if I created a category called "general" then placed "Aviators", "Men's", "Women's", "Goggles", etc. under the parent (general), would that solve a problem that I may have created for myself?

That would work as you'd need, but then the

Then, if there's a way to segregate a specific category (and subs) into the dropdown shortcode, it would work. Is that possible to do?

Could you clarify on that please? The best way to do this would be to create the categories (top level, parent categories), then the child categories.

You can then create a custom menu with the parent and child categories links, then each category will only show the items in that category, which is what I believe you require?

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• perrydyse

It's the custom dropdown shortcode that I don't understand how to create. If I made a category called "general" with noting in it then mmoved all of the "general" products to child categories, I could use the dropdown shortcode [mp_dropdown_categories] if I knew how to add attributes to it so that it only shows these specific child categories. Then, I could use the shortcode for the other two (main} categories that I would build (authentics and inspired). I would move their respective product categories to child categories and do the same thing.

My question now is, How do I build this shortcode so that it does what I need it to do?