troubleshoot recent global posts

I have post indexer installed and network activated and indexing posts from across my network nicely. These are displayed in the post indexer settings page. When I network activate recent global posts and insert the [recentglobalposts] shortcode into a page, my upfront theme says: “Ooops, something seems to have gone wrong with rendering the widget”

How can I find out what might be causing this and fix it?

Thanks – Mark

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Mark, hope you had a wonderful day.

Actually the shortcode will be “[globalrecentposts]”. I tried to regenerate the issue on my test site but I could not. So this is your site/theme specific issue. I could tell you better about the issue if I could see it live, check your current configuration and make some tests on your site. Would you mind allowing Support Access so we can have a closer look at this?

To enable support access you can follow this guide here:

http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Have a nice day. Cheers!

Rupok

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Mark,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

I tested the shortcode in my system, and it seems to work fine with Fixer theme. It looks more of a plugin conflict, since it’s a live website, I didn’t perform the conflict test. Could you please run a quick plugin/theme conflict test as illustrated in getting support manual (flowchart), and rule any plugins causing any conflict.

http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

Please let us know how that goes, so that we could give a closer look. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,

Nithin

• Mark
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Thanks for the advice Nithin,

I tried deactivating plugins and didn’t have any success. I did have a question about that though. Since the post indexer is working just fine, would it be likely to be a plugin installed on the site on which I’m trying to run the shortcode, or some sort of a network plugin?

Thanks – Mark

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Mark,

Since the post indexer is working just fine, would it be likely to be a plugin installed on the site on which I’m trying to run the shortcode, or some sort of a network plugin?

Conflict can be caused be both types of plugins – network plugins are usually working on every subsite and per site are working on this particular subsite so both can “influence” plugin on one subsite.

If test conflict didn’t give positive results then please enable debug mode in WordPress. To enable it, open your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:

define(‘WP_DEBUG’, true);

In order to enable the error logging to a file on the server you need to add yet one more similar line:

define( ‘WP_DEBUG_LOG’, true );

In this case the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/directory.

Depending on whether you want your errors to be only logged or also displayed on the screen you should also have this line there, immediately after the line mentioned above:

define( ‘WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY’, false );

The wp-config.php is located in your WordPress root directory. It’s the same file where the database configuration settings are. You will have to access it by FTP or SFTP in order to edit it. I would need then to see content of the debug.log file – so please paste it to the text file and attach to post.

kind regards,

Kasia

• Mark

HI there and thanks for the assistance,

OK so there are a few errors I am tracking however these two below seemed relevent to the issue at hand:

[18-Jun-2016 14:17:55 UTC] WordPress database error Table 'wp_bilby.wp_bilby_network_terms' doesn't exist for query DELETE FROM wp_bilby_network_terms WHERE term_id NOT IN ( SELECT term_id FROM wp_bilby_network_term_taxonomy ) LIMIT 50 made by do_action_ref_array, call_user_func_array, postindexercron->process_tidy_tags, postindexermodel->remove_orphaned_tax_entries
    [18-Jun-2016 14:31:36 UTC] PHP Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /var/lib/wp_bilby/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/email-newsletter-files/builder/class.builder.php on line 368

How do you advise I proceed with this?

Thanks – Mark

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Mark, hope you had a wonderful day.

Unfortunately these two lines do not provide us enough data to get idea regarding why this is happening. Can you please grant us Support Access once again so we can have a better look at this?

I’m looking forward to hear from you and resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!

Rupok

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Mark,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

WordPress database error Table ‘wp_xxx.wp_bilby_network_terms’ doesn’t exist for query DELETE FROM wp_bilby_network_terms WHERE term_id NOT IN ( SELECT term_id FROM wp_bilby_network_term_taxonomy ) LIMIT 50 made by do_action_ref_array, call_user_func_array, postindexercron->process_tidy_tags, postindexermodel->remove_orphaned_tax_entries

I’m able to notice a database error in the log viewer, it seems like the Post Indexer plugin is unable to create a table, could you please run through your database, and and check whether a table named wp_bibly_network_terms, exists?. Unfortunately, I’m unable to replicate this issue in my system.

I have pinged the developer regarding this, and have asked to give a look. Please do note that developers work round the clock, and have a slow response time. Either myself or the developer will update regarding this.

Kind Regards,

Nithin

• Mark

Hi Kasia,

I have added the table into the database and the error seems to have stopped appearing in the log however we are still getting nothing from the shortcode despite the indexer showing many indexed posts.

Cheers – Mark.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello mark

Great thing you are not getting the error any more.

Now, please go to Network Admin > Settings > Post Indexer and rebuild the index, just let the system index the posts again. Once the indexing is done again, please check the page.

Let us know how it goes.

Have a good day!

Cheers

Ash

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Mark,

I’m terribly sorry it took us so long to figure this. Recent global posts are by default showing posts – and post indexer also index by default posts and pages. But in your post indexer settings there was no post entry… and no posts were indexed at all. All other custom posts types yes, but there was no posts.

So [globalrecentposts] was showing nothing.

I’ve run post indexing again on your site and added post to “Default Post Types” so it should start working as soon as posts will be indexed.

Let me know if this will work.

kind regards,

Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.