Troubleshooting with plugins in Multisite

I'm having difficulties with handling plugins in multisite.
I've installed several plugins as super user. The ones I activated for the Network show up in the child-sites, though the administrators of those sites cannot edit the settings. That's okay because with several plugins I don't want them to do that. But they need access to other plugins I want to install later on.
But when I don't network activate the plugins nobody can do something with them. Even the Super User doesn't have permission to activate the plugins for the main website. The show a line 'only network'.
What am i doing wrong?
I want to setup a community with websites. The basic ones are free but for several plugins and themes I want to ask a fee. Now it seems impossible to activate plugins per site.
And what to do with a plugin like Pro Sites. It is network activated en now is visible under plugins in all child sites.
Attention, the dashboard is in Dutch.
I have activated support access on the site.

• Rupok

Hi Frank

I've installed several plugins as super user. The ones I activated for the Network show up in the child-sites, though the administrators of those sites cannot edit the settings. That's okay because with several plugins I don't want them to do that. But they need access to other plugins I want to install later on.

It totally depends on how that plugin is coded. For example, in standard scenario where user roles are default and not modified, if you install our Membership 2 Pro plugin, then it can be configured site by site individually and your sub sites admins can configure it according to their site requirements.

But when I don't network activate the plugins nobody can do something with them. Even the Super User doesn't have permission to activate the plugins for the main website. The show a line 'only network'.

Well, there are some plugins which works only when those are network activated. For example, Pro Sites. It can only be activated network wise, it can't be activated site by site. This is how these plugins are developed. On the other hand, you can activate Membership 2 Pro site by site.

I want to setup a community with websites. The basic ones are free but for several plugins and themes I want to ask a fee. Now it seems impossible to activate plugins per site.

If you network activate any plugin, that will be activated on all sub sites. Rather, if you network deactivate, then you should be able to activate plugins per site. But again, that plugin must support it. If the plugin is developed in such a way that it will only work when network activated, then you can't let your users to activate it for their site and configure it because the plugin doesn't support that. But most plugins supports working site by site. Now for all those plugins which supports working in per site basis, you can ask a fee from your users for using those by enabling a module in Pro Sites plugin: "Premium Plugins" module. You will get full usage details of Pro Sites plugin here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites/#product-usage

And what to do with a plugin like Pro Sites. It is network activated en now is visible under plugins in all child sites.

By nature, Pro Sites plugin should only be configured from Network Dashboard, you can't configure that from your subsite dashboards. It should not add any menu in your Subsite Dashboards. But as you network activated it, it's visible under plugins in all child sites, which is default WordPress behavior. Do you want to hide it from even the plugins list in sub sites? By default, all network activated plugins (if it supports working per site basis or not) will be shown under the plugins section in each site Dashboard.

Please let us know if you have any further confusion. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.