Transfering a bespoke style to MP 2.8.1

Hi,

Firstly let me explain that I have pretty low knowledge of PHP/CSS and wordpress. I'm pretty much a store owner trying to make things work and trying to figure things out as i go along.

Rcently, I installed MP Lite on our site and then had a web company style it up for us.

Because of certain limitations I decided to upgrade to 2.8.1 and install it myself.

Now of course, all of our previous style is missing. However, as an added complication/ bonus sidepoint, even if i select any of the existing themed styles (icons, modern, classic etc) It doesn't seem to have any effect on on our product listings or checkouts.

In fact, here's another tidbit - If I select grid listing in store presentation - no grid listing.

So my question is twofold:-

1) How do I transfer all of the previous bespoke styles so that my product listing and checkouts etc all look and behave as they did? - to fit in with the website

2) Why the heck aren't the other styles having any effect? (and options for that matter)..... and what can I do to investigate or change things?

The reward for this help will be 16 internet brownie points, PLUS 2 special Chive points and Total Job Satisfaction (TJS).

Not bad!

Patrick

Hi @groomarts_groomarts

Welcome to the forums!

The reward for this help will be 16 internet brownie points, PLUS 2 special Chive points and Total Job Satisfaction (TJS).

Lol! Let's try for the TJS

Before we can answer your questions, we need some more specific information.

1. What theme are you using on your site?

2. Are you running a multisite installation of WordPress, or a single site?

3. Before you installed MarketPress, did you make sure that MP-Lite was deactivated and deleted completely from your site?

Please advise. Thanks!

groomarts_groomarts

Hey Pat,

1. I'm using a custom theme.

2. Single site.

3. NO........(I'm trying not to be too embarrassed at this point).
    However, in my defence, what I actually did was to deactivate Lite, install Pro and then activate Pro. - Seemed pretty logical at the time.

However, I will now attempt to deactivate, delete, install and learn (slowly)

One small point; specifically which files or directory tree do i Zap to get rid of Lite?

Many thanks.

TJS is now all yours to enjoy. 8-)

groomarts_groomarts

Hi Pat,

I removed everything. Double checked with FileZilla that everything had disappeared and then installed 2.8.1.

I'm afraid I have exactly the same outcome.

MY style has disappeared and it seems like any settings that I make under settings->presentation do not seem to take effect.

So, now I'm slowly going over the old 'Lite' directory subtree (which I have a backup) and just randomly seeing if i can work out what has changed and what i may need to carry over.

It's a little confusing but If there's any bright spark that can point me in the right direction it would be very much appreciated.

All the best,

Leo

groomarts_groomarts

Hi Jack,

Unfortunately I don't have a screenshot of how it used to be but the product list would be displayed in a grid without long descriptions and styled with a red line under each item that changed to green when rolling over it. A green image map would also go over the image (Read More/ Buy Now) upon rollover.

anyhow i've added to screen grabs of what it looks like now.

which files do i need to mod/check in order to customise the style?

any help would be greatly appreciated as we really need to get this working as soon as poss.

All the best

Leo (Not-A-Coding-Monkey)

Jack Kitterhing

Hi Leo,

Doesn't sound like the styles would be that hard to get back then, as it seems like it must have originally been just a CSS change.

There are a few different CSS files within Marketpress, public-core.css within Marketpress includes, the themes are held within Marketpress/themes/themename

I checked out your website, but can't find the store/products page? I'm presume you haven't got it live? If you have could you post a link so I can check it out?

From the screenshots you posted it looks like no CSS is loading to me.

Below I have posted the themeing marketpress txt file, which may help you I'll await your reply.

Kind Regards
    Jack (Coding-Monkey)

Themeing MarketPress
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are two methods to create custom designs for MarketPress stores:

Basic Styles:

Basic styles are comprised of a css file and an optional images folder that is loaded
    and applied on store pages. To create a basic style:

1. Create a css file in the /wp-content/marketpress-styles/ directory with your custom styles. It
    may be easiest to copy our default.css theme and modify it.
    2. Make sure to add the custom theme header with your theme's name at the top of the css file:
    /*
    MarketPress Style: CUSTOMNAME
    */
    Including this header will cause your custom theme to show in the dropdown on the
    Store Settings -> Presentation page so it may be selected.
    3. You can also optionally create a subdirectory for your css images in the /wp-content/marketpress-styles/ folder and
    link to images within it with relative urls like "image-folder/my-image.jpg".

Advanced Themes:

MarketPress uses custom post types to display it's products. This means that you can use
    the same WP theme templating system you are familiar with. We simply provide a customized
    subset of template functions so you don't have to worry about dealing with post meta. Template
    functions are fully documented and can be found in the /marketpress/marketpress-includes/template-functions.php file.

E.g. to create a custom product page:

1. Make a copy of the page.php template file in your theme directory and rename it mp_product.php

2. mp_product.php must use the mp_* functions instead of the_content(), see template-functions.php for a list of functions relevant to products.

MarketPress searches your current theme folder for template files specific to store pages. If
    a template file does not exist it loads the theme's page template instead. Just like WP, the
    plugin will search for templates in order of priority from top to bottom. Here are possible
    file names for store templates in order:

Single Product Page
    mp_product-PRODUCTNAME.php
    mp_product-PRODUCTID.php
    mp_product.php

Store Page
    mp_store.php

Cart/Checkout Page
    mp_cart.php

Order Status Page
    mp_orderstatus.php

Product List Page
    mp_productlist.php

Product Category List Page
    mp_category-CATEGORYSLUG.php
    mp_category-CATEGORYID.php
    mp_category.php
    mp_taxonomy.php
    mp_productlist.php

Product Tag List Page
    mp_tag-TAGSLUG.php
    mp_tag-TAGID.php
    mp_tag.php
    mp_taxonomy.php
    mp_productlist.php

--------------------------------------------------
    Global Listings - Will only work on main site/blog
    --------------------------------------------------
    Product List Page
    mp_global_products.php
    mp_productlist.php

Product Category List Page
    mp_global_category-CATEGORYSLUG.php
    mp_global_category.php
    mp_global_category_list.php

Product Tag List Page
    mp_global_tag-TAGSLUG.php
    mp_global_tag.php
    mp_global_tag_list.php

23795-1359723988

groomarts_groomarts

Thanks Jack,

Much appreciated.

They haven't added a specific theme file to MarketPress (more's the pity) but have done it the other way.

With Lite the directory structure was:-

maketpress-includes/themes
    classic.css
    icons.css
    /modern-images
    modern.css
    Themeing_MarketPress.txt

I have put the "Products" Page up so that its live.

Our specific wordpress theme folder looks like this:-

themes/groomarts
    404.php
    archive-custom_type.php
    archive.php
    comments.php
    /css
    favicon.ico
    /fonts
    footer.php
    functions.php
    header.php
    /img
    index.php
    /js
    /library
    page-custom.php
    page-slider.php
    page.php
    README
    screenshot.png
    search.php
    sidebar.php
    single-custom_type.php
    single.php
    style.css
    taxonomy-custom_cat.php

Cheers once again

Leo

Jack Kitterhing

Hi Leo,

Thanks for that, I've just had a look at the products pages and viewed a few products.

It's looks like no CSS is being loaded, reset.css and global.css are controlling the styling of the product pages etc, rather than the standard CSS files provided within marketpress.
    Really I would advise that a new stylesheet is written and added, or add styles to the current stylesheets. Do you have a backup of the site, of when it was working fine? Or a old version of global.css and reset.css?
    Did you send the plugin files to the developer to edit, or did they do the edit on your live site?

Thanks! Sorry for all the questions but It'll help in trying to get a solution

Kind Regards
    Jack (Coding-Monkey).

groomarts_groomarts

Hi Jack,

Yeah I have a backup of those files. I have zipped up our theme files here:-

http://groomarts.com/tmp/groomarts.zip

The developers wanted to code our site up using their own proprietry CMS and we said no as we wanted to use great plugins like WPMU Dev suite of plugins and make sure that we could administer the back end without being charged for tiny mods.

However, I digress.

They coded the site up on a staging platform and then it went over to the live site. After it went live, we haven't been able to contact them.

So we are having to work things out for ourselves (slowly).

I have also looked at page.php and there are quite a few references to products in there.

Help 8-)

Leo

Jack Kitterhing

Hi Leo,

Thank you for the files, I've uploaded the theme to a test site, so I can take a closer look. I've tried so far adding the default marketpress styles to the stylesheet, which made the products display in a grid, but you could only see half the product image and title as the footer went over it.
    But when you click on the product it's still all messed up.
    Then, I linked in the marketpress styles and themes into the header, so they would have to load. But that didn't work either. My next thing will be to go through the code bit by bit, to look for any problems. I've got to out now for a couple of hours, but as soon as I get back, I'll get straight to it

I also agree that it is never best letting a developer use their own purpose built CMS, as like you say they would charge a small fortune for any small modifications.

It's disappointing that they won't contact you back, it gives developers a bad name and that's when you then hear about horror stories of developers running off with someones money, which basically they've done, as they've left you with a non-functioning site in effect.

If you don't mind me asking what sort of price did they charge?

Do you know what Marketpress version they was using on the staging platform? Version number and Lite or Full.
    Wordpress version being using on the staging platform?

Does everything else work as it should? Or are their any other problems with the site? Also is the Admin area slow for you? (Or slower than it should be).

I see that they have used the bones framework for this theme, which seems kinda pointless as when you get down to the mobile size, you lose the search, customer registration and things like that how they've done it, which I would of thought are some of the more important features!

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack (Coding-Monkey).

groomarts_groomarts

Hi Jack,

Thanks once again for your effort. Most appreciated.

In terms of price i can tell you privately no problem.

They installed Lite which seemed to almost be working correctly aside from a few functional issues which we thought would be cleared up with an upgrade to 2.8.1 (mainly to do with having starting from price when you have product variations)

In terms of other aspects of the site functioning correctly, well they seem to be working, however there are also one or two areas which I really find puzzling (e.g. customer registration only allows one pet per customer. - They told us it was too difficult for them to implement a set of relational tables into WP-CRM).

Anyway, the main issue is that we really need to get the e-commerce function running.

As for the performance, to be honest, it seems adequate.

Thanks

Leo

Jack Kitterhing

Hi Leo,

If you want to send me an email, jack@coding-monkey.com that would be great.

Hmm, Later I'm going to test with lite and roll it back a version or two, see what happens.

I agree that is a little puzzling, as I would have thought it's very likely that customers may have more than 1 pet, would you mind if I tested the registration on your site? So I can see for myself the workflow.

Of course, I'm sure this can be sorted It may just take a little longer than I first anticipated.

Thanks.

Kind Regards
    Jack (Coding-Monkey).

Jack Kitterhing

Hi Leo,

I've continued testing today and still can't quite see why this is happening, as I said in the email's, all other e-commerce plugins are having the same problem, not just marketpress.
    I notice that you may been running W3 Total cache, Is that correct? If so, would it be possible for you to either post, or email me a screenshot of your settings for that specific plugin and if possible a list of other plugins you are using.
    My test environment was a running just Wordpress version 3.5.1 and marketpress 2.8.1, and your theme, but it still didn't work, rolled back a version still didn't work, inspected with firebug, the CSS data sheet isn't being loaded at all for some reason.

On the staging environment that it worked fine on, did you ever look at the wp-admin side of things, or did they just show you the frontend?

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack (Coding-Monkey).