Trying to figure out positive and negative rules in membership.

At the moment, there is no distinction between the content we are giving access to for our three subscription levels (monthly, annual, stranger).

Down the road we will, but just in setting it up it's not needed. At this point, we want everyone to be able to read and comment on our posts. Later, premium features to be added (plugins, pages, drawings, etc.) So I'm wondering with the negative/positive and advance access level rules - do I need to set any rules at this point? Once membership is activated, will everyone have access to the content on pages and posts or will activation bar people from reading posts/pages/homepage and how do we make sure that this does not occur?

• aristath

Hello there @jdsullivan411, I hope you're well today!

You could setup a new general access level on the Membership plugin that will be available to all users and visitors.
    On this level, you should use negative rules, and simply negate acces to as single page, just so that a rule actually exists.
    Since you'll be using negative rules on that level, all other content will be available to your users.
    Please also make sure that you're using the latest version of the Membership plugin.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• jdsullivan411

I was kinda thinking that was the way to go. Don't really like the term "negative rules" - it sounds so... negative. But it does look like the way to go, and when I add stuff paid members can enjoy, simplier to just add them to the negative rules of the stranger membership.

Another question, if I don't have any rules at all at first, will everyone be able to see everything? This is what I want. Presently, memebrship is simply a way for people to support what we are doing, prem features to be added later. I don't want people to run into a post that says "protected content" once I enable the membership program.

• aristath

Another question, if I don't have any rules at all at first, will everyone be able to see everything? This is what I want. Presently, memebrship is simply a way for people to support what we are doing, prem features to be added later. I don't want people to run into a post that says "protected content" once I enable the membership program.

It would be best to simply add a new access rule that will simply protect a dummy page like for example a page called ouygarfkjdfnsglkfnsdgkjhbasfbasd

They'll never get there unless they start typing random stuff in the browser's URL! :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.