Trying to figure out the right configuration options for Cloner

Hi, attempting to clone one of our subsites via Cloner and am trying to figure out the correct settings.

Basically am trying to copy the thing lock, stock, and barrel, including all the content. I tried setting it to copy over all tables, but it looks like it's trying to individually copy over every image (from the media library i guess?) a la the attached screenshot, which is gonna take forever. is the media library not shared across subsites already? (and do I need to leave the browser window open while clone runs?)

Thoughts on how I should be trying to achieve the goal??

Thanks very much!
Benji

• Tyler Postle

Hey Benji,

Hope you're doing well today!

Yes, it will clone all the media attachments as well, you can bypass this by going to:

Network admin > Settings > Cloner. and unchecking the "attachments" option.

Each subsite has it's own media library, so it would need to clone the images to the new subsites media library tables.

Yes, you do need to leave the browser open while it copies :slight_smile:

If you have any further questions on this just let us know.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Benji

Hmm... so first, i did end up closing the browser before the process finished. Do you know what that means? do i need to i guess delete the subsite and re-clone?

More broadly, am curious if i'm heading in the right direction in general. Basically the goal with the multisite setup is to have a series of sites that are more or less identical in structure and content, just with slight different branding, and possibly / ideally with different user bases (ie so each site will have a directory, but showing different user; each site will show the same content posts, but only show comments from that site's userbase).

Is multisite the right approach / architecture I should be using here?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Benji,

Sorry for my delay on this.

Yes, I think multisite would be perfect for your scenario. It will allow you to easily add in new sites to the network too.

You would want to create a subsite to use as your template separate from your mainsite so you can more easily manage the template. This way you can make only the changes you want.

While Multisite shares the network wide user database, each site still has it's own assigned users - so your plan should work great in multisite.

Hmm... so first, i did end up closing the browser before the process finished. Do you know what that means? do i need to i guess delete the subsite and re-clone?

Yes, you can delete the subsite and then re-clone to ensure all the content gets copied over properly.

If you have any further questions just let us know.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Benji, that's right. Once the site is cloned then they are all individual. So it's not linked in anyway to the site it was cloned from - has it's own separate tables and everything.

You could use our Multisite Content Copier plugin to send a post out to all your subsites though: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/multisite-content-copier/

Or you could create a group of sites and add specific sites you want to send the post(s) too instead of sending them to all subsites.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Benji

Yeah, had looked at this briefly, and seemed like this might be perfect. So how's this work...

1) What's the work flow? Maybe I'd have 'central' site for the network where I'd publish content (even behind a private domain or something), and then I'd go the copying plugin flow to basically syndicate it to whatever other subsites I want?
    2) How does the plugin work... it literally creates copies of the post and media items and then sends it around? Does that I assume mean if future edits are made to posts or media etc, these then have to be re-copied/syndicated?

Thanks!
    Benji

• Tyler Postle

Hey Benji,

1) What's the work flow? Maybe I'd have 'central' site for the network where I'd publish content (even behind a private domain or something), and then I'd go the copying plugin flow to basically syndicate it to whatever other subsites I want?

Yes, that's exactly how you could do it. Have 1 site within the network that you post the content from then select to copy it to a group of other sites :slight_smile: there will be multisite content copier settings on the edit post page so you can select which group of sites to send it to when you first publish it.

2) How does the plugin work... it literally creates copies of the post and media items and then sends it around? Does that I assume mean if future edits are made to posts or media etc, these then have to be re-copied/syndicated?

It copies the posts/media over to the new sites but it doesn't sync them. Once the content is posted then they are all individual posts on those sites. So you wouldn't be able to re-copy or sync them up for edits.

You can see how to set it up on our usage guide:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/multisite-content-copier/#usage

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.