Trying to follow the usage instructions here:

Trying to follow the usage instructions here:
https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/

The "Upgrading from Membership" instructions don't say anything about removing the old version. So I proceed with trying to install V2 and get this error:

Destination folder already exists. /var/www/atomicdesignstudios.com/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/membership/

Plugin install failed.

So, what next? Delete the old version first? Will that destroy all my settings?

• Sajid

Hi @peter_harris! Hope you are doing good today and thanks for your question :slight_smile:

Do not install membership2 pro if you have already Membership Pro installed and active. Update the Membership Pro plugin to Membership2 Pro.

How it works is, upgrade membership to the latest version, then you should see an upgrade note in "Membership > Settings".

If you don't, go to the WPMU DEV dashboard > Updates and force it to check for updates (at the bottom of the page). Then go back to Membership and you'll see it.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

• Sajid

Hi @peter_harris,

I am sorry for being late. I updated membership and protected content plugins on my own sandbox site using same instructions posted above. But I can understand weird things happen, so there might be some glitch. I can see you managed to have Membership2 Pro plugin (see screenshot).

Sorry again for inconvenience, if I am of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to ask :slight_smile:

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

• Sajid

Hi @peter_harris,

I can understand things happened while upgrade, the good thing is your data is stored in database and still available to use. I recommend you always take a backup your existing site before updating a plugin, or its great if you have a clone/staging website for testing purposes.

So we can still start using this plugin and restore your memberships + data.

1. Update to latest version of M2 from 1.0.0.1 to 1.0.0.2.
    2. Setup Membership2 Pro plugins, following wizard.
    3. Go to settings Membership 2 > Settings > Import Tool > Import data there you will see two radio buttons select "Membership (WPMU DEV)" and run import.

Yes I can see your other thread. Please update the plugin and hopefully this will fix that issue too :slight_smile:

Please do not hesitate to ask more questions, if any, I will be more than happy to help :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.