Trying to Keep the Front Page Open

I’d like my Buddypress 1.2.9/Multisite 3.2.1 network closed to members only, but want the front page open to the public. I’m using the Default Buddypress Theme currently. I thought I could perhaps use the exclude features in this plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/private-buddypress/ but the Sitewide Privacy plugin must be overriding this functionality, because the front page is still blocked.

• mrjarbenne
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I don’t want the entire site open, just the front page, which is a static page with information about the site and the login widget. The activity feed, the public groups, etc: basically the entire site EXCEPT for this one page, should be available to logged in users only.

I suppose I could probably use the Membership plugin, but it seems like alot of plugin for something that can probably be done in a simpler way.

• mrjarbenne
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Well, it’s certainly suppose to do that, but if you look back on my initial post the private buddypress plugin and the wpmu sitewide privacy plugin are, I can only assume, conflicting. Currently the sitewide privacy plugin is winning: putting a checkmark beside “exclude front page” in the private buddypress plugin does nothing: attempting to navigate to the front page results in a redirect to the standard WP-login.php page.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

That was why my original suggestion was to modify the privacy setting on this individual site. You can change this one site to the visibility “I would like my site to be visible to everyone, including search engines (like Google, Bing, Technorati) and archivers” and then use the BuddyPress privacy plugin.

All other sites on your install can have the heightened visibility settings. Does that make sense?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.