Trying to 'Move' our WP site to another Domain

Almost 2 weeks ago, we got a new domain name and new web hosting for our site. I spent considerable time making all the necessary changes to our backup copy of our WP site to have the new domain name in it. I could NOT find a WP Plugin for a single site to 'clone' or 'move', so I had to change the existing files myself. I am now ready to 'import' the revised 'export' of our site. The web hosting service, Arvixe, already installed WP on our site. But I do NOT recall what the default password is for the ADMIN account (the ONLY one on the new WP site.

Can you PLEASE email me a link to the WP Codex or documentation that says what the Admin default password is when WP is first installed. I am hoping it will still work. The only reason it might NOT work is because I tried to login as Admin, didn't have the password, then did a password change request. I have NO idea where that request went, because it did not go to my email (the one set up with the new web host).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mary :o)

• Michelle Shull

Hey there, Mary!

The original admin password would have been set by your host. There's not a single default WordPress admin password, which is probably a very good thing. :slight_smile:

However! We can change your admin password, and it will be easy because you did your backup by hand. Serendipity! Since you've already paid a visit to PHPMyAdmin to backup your database, this tutorial will be simple for you. http://www.devlounge.net/publishing/reset-a-wordpress-password-from-phpmyadmin

Read the whole tutorial before you start, and then follow each step carefully. If something goes wrong, you can simply re-import the edited database backup you've got on hand, but it's pretty straightforward, I think it's totally in your wheelhouse. :slight_smile:

From there, you should be able to log in with the new password.

Let us know if you need any more help here!

• Michelle Shull

Hey Mary!

You know, I actually prefer to do it myself. Every time I've tried to hire it out (in the early days of my WP odyssey) or use a tool (in the middle days), I've ended up doing it by hand anyway. I use a plugin (Search and Replace) to do the database edits themselves, but other wise I move everything by hand. It ends up being less stressful? After the first time, it wasn't nearly as intimidating, either.

I've moved my production site more often than I'd like to admit; it's huge, with 20k posts, about a million comments, and some 80k members, so there aren't any tools that can capture the whole thing without failing. (That I've found so far.) I can do it by hand in a few hours now, and that's with time to find some motivational songs on YouTube and making the coffee.

I also feel like manual migration made me really understand the guts of my site better, too. I love tools that make stuff look like magic, but I'd rather know how it works, too.

Anyway, you definitely earned a WordPress merit badge with your own migration. Nice work. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.