Trying to pull custom blog posts from network onto main site

Post Indexer is up but it only finds custom post types from the main site, not the network.

Autoblogger seems to be working, creating feeds for the two new custom post types from both the main site and across the network. (not sure how it manages this if there is the previous problem with the indexer)

Recent Sitewide Posts is only displaying the normal post types and not the custom ones (as expected).

Created two custom types, both posts: Events and New Work, with related taxonomies Type of Event and Type of New Work. The taxonomies are set up to be fully public.

The menu is offering the custom post taxonomies (set up as heirarchical categories so that a single menu entry should display all child categories, provided they are selected in the post) But it refuses to actually attach these to the menu. Select and hit insert into menu and it goes away and thinks about it but never does it.

So it seems that everything is set up except the ability to actually see the custom posts drawn from the blogs. And I am stuck.

This means two problems.

Getting these custom posts indexed from across the network and getting the menu to accept the custom taxonomies so that the results can be displayed.

I know some have made this work, the general advice came from David but I am now stuck.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya,

Have you network activated Post Indexer? It sounds like it’s only site activated…

Autoblog doesn’t use Post Indexer, it uses RSS feeds so it will work independently of PI.

Recent Sitewide Posts is only intended to show blog posts, not custom posts. You will want to look at using https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/recent-custom-posts-type-widget

Regarding the menu; do you have any other plugins active that could be interfering? Are you able to add other items like pages to the menu?

Phil

• guileshill
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks for clarity, Phil.

Yes it is network activated, I am assuming it is not pulling from the network because the custom posts that appear in the menu options only include those from the main site. What are the database details for this plugin so that I can check whether it is indexing those too?

I have the recent custom posts widget in test. But it is indiscriminate, pulls all posts which we do not want and only puts a list in the sidebar. I am trying to establish a feature for site owners whereby if they announce an exhibition, a workshop or even a new piece of work that the post itself appears on the main site as well as their own. Hence the custom types.

There was a plugin called sitewide tags that did this quite elegantly, but it doesn’t work on 3.2 properly and not with buddypress, I suspect, anyway, it fails to create or recognise the dedicated subsite into which posts are pulled.

The menus, apart from this issue, are functioning fine.

• guileshill

I get it now, rather, I remember why I did not use this.

I am trying to get a bit further than this plugin goes, to get post pages into the index and the whole page with the custom post designation, so a page about network Events, or network New Work. This is necessary to be able to sell it as a feature to members. The plugin makes a reasonable job of putting a list into the sidebar but this gives too little emphasis.

I’ll try to find a way to get the content into full display, obviously the custom taxonomy lends itself to this, if only I can crack the menu issue

• guileshill

Further test reveals that this is not picking up new custom posts from the sites.

Autoblog can be set to put custom types onto what it calls the home page (meaning the default blog page, too many themes change this nomenclature for it to make sense). But it doesn’t pick up custom types from the sites’ feeds either. What it does not do is to allow more than one blog type page and to have the custom posts on one and default posts on another.

• guileshill

This seems to come down to autoblogger not finding any of the feeds I have established. I set up two, so I thought, to work with the post indexer and two to work via my google reader, which is picking up all the new posts. But autoblogger is not finding them. Can you give me a steer on how to set up the feed links in autblogger to resolve this. I’ve not used feeds much in the past.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Thanks for the continued updates – that helps!

We have had some issues with Autoblog hiding feeds and such like and the most recent update which came through a few hours ago actually dealt with these.

Can you pick that one up and see how that behaves for you?

Thanks,

Phil

• guileshill

“Thanks for the continued updates – that helps!” Well, I never really thought I was talking to myself, although it does feel a bit like airing the laundry!

I have updated as you suggest.

I am using the feed created by post indexer but getting the same message “• Error: A feed could not be found at http://artsnet.co/wp-content/recent-global-posts-feed.php?posttype=event

The feeds are working, I can see them in all the regular readers I have set up as they are triggered by the index feed widget.

Also, on the menu issue, the unresolving insert on the main site continues. But when I try to do the insert on one of the blogs it simply puts the taxonomy in place and labels it Invalid.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

It looks like Autoblog is spitting out that message because there are no items in the feed rather than there being no feed at all. Not particularly accurate but it still won’t be able to pull anything in.

Can you link me to events custom posts that you would expect to see in that feed please?

Phil

• guileshill

OK eagle eyes, you win. It was an error but correcting it has made no difference. The new_work type was always correct though and that is suffering the same way.

I don’t see how it could be meaningful but there is an anomaly with the feed processor reporting. Whenever I process the feed it returns a last processed time an hour earlier than actual. And the site and blog servers are in the same time zone.

• guileshill

Sorry guys. But I’m going to keep on bumping this one until I hear from you. It used to be such an easy thing to do until recent ‘developments’ and it affects a fairly important feature of the network for new members so I can’t just drop it.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Do we have an answer on this one yet, folks? I’d love to see this be resolved. A custom post type feed should be processed by autoblog same as any other feed.

Have you been able to get autoblog working with any other feeds? I’ve been testing the latest release (3.6.7) and haven’t ran into any issues – though I haven’t tested custom post type feeds.

Let us know and I’ll ask Barry to chime in as well.

Thanks!

• guileshill

No, I’m still stuck on this.

I’d prefer not to use custom post types for a number of reasons. But pulling categories does not seem to be possible with the plugins in the way that it was with the old post tags plugin that no longer works.

And it is still the case that custom taxonomies from the custom posts cannot be put in the menus.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi guileshill,

Really sorry I missed this one! Working on getting my feeds more organized so I catch these!

Autoblogger itself can pull feeds of custom post types though it’s more the case that you’d just need the feed for the specific custom post type, which you can access like so:

yoursite.com/feed/?post_type=yourposttype

Would that perhaps work in your case to help Autoblog pull specific custom post types?

-David

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Took a look at your feeds and the first one did show posts in my feed reader, but none of them were actually visible. The oldest 2 took me to 404 pages:

http://master.artsnet.co/events/a-new-event-from-master/

http://master.artsnet.co/events/bookbinding/

And the newer two required me to login:

http://artist-4.artsnet.co/events/bookbinding-cp3/

http://artist-4.artsnet.co/events/workshop-cp4/

If you’re not able to view the post in the web browser as a visitor, autoblog isn’t going to be able to pull in a post. That needs to be addressed first.

And, I’m still lost on this:

The menu is offering the custom post taxonomies (set up as heirarchical categories so that a single menu entry should display all child categories, provided they are selected in the post) But it refuses to actually attach these to the menu. Select and hit insert into menu and it goes away and thinks about it but never does it.

What menu? If you’re referring to the custom menu nav, could you try just doing a custuom link?

Thanks

• guileshill

Guys, thank you for the responses. I have some other things to resolve today, not least the behaviour of the theme templating plugin, and this will mean adding and deleting blogs (which is why you were getting the 404 errors James) This will confuse everything, including me, until it is settled.

I will return to this issue in the next couple of days and feed back to you.

In terms of the menu issue. I am talking about the standard WP menu interface. The custom taxonomies are available to include in the menu structure but when applied return an invalid response.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Ok, we’ll be here when you’re ready to return to this :slight_smile:

The custom taxonomies are available to include in the menu structure but when applied return an invalid response.

What did you use to create the custom taxonomies? What is the invalid response?

• guileshill

This is the simplest custom post type. Just a standard component with a single custom taxonomy for each type. Custom post types are New Work and Events, taxonomies are work_type and event_type which are heirarchical. Neither has any custom fields.

• guileshill

Let’s take a step back, exactly what should be entered in the feed setup of autoblog.

I have just made some new custom posts from a sub-site and am still getting these types of errors on everything:

2011-10-29 at 11:51

• Error: A feed could not be found at http://artsnet.co/wp-content/recent-global-posts-feed.php?posttype=events

I get the same when using the normal feeds link

2011-10-29 at 12:54

• Error: A feed could not be found at http://artsnet.co/feed/?posttype=new_work

Google reader finds both of them as it should. Only autoblog is failing so I must be doing something wrong there.

• guileshill

I have resolved all the issues, I think!

First there seems to have been a problem caused by changing some of the specs of the custom post types while keeping earlier posts intact. By clearing all posts and starting over with custom types and taxonomies this was resolved. One of the issues seems to have been having capital letters in the name of the post type.

However, I have not so much solved as bypassed the RSS feed problems. By establishing feeds with feedburner, using the settings that should have worked just through autoblog, and then using the feedburner links in autoblog, the custom posts are showing just as they should.

I will leave this thread open for now, just in case anyone understands why the standard links didn’t work and we can get some substance into the solution for others.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Glad you were able to sort those issues and find a method that works for you.

Oddly, I just grabbed the feed above (http://artsnet.co/wp-content/recent-global-posts-feed.php?posttype=events) and added it through Autoblog. Two posts came through autoblog immediately.

Not sure why it hasn’t worked for ya, but Barry’s released a new version that seems to have resolved quite a bi of this. What were your settings in Post Filtering in Autoblog?

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.