Trying to split downloads in membership

I've got the Membership plugin installed and I'd like to allow anyone to download any info .doc or .pdf, but restrict access to certain info.

Is that possible by changing the downloads setting? It's a fresh site on a dev server, not live.

Thanks

• Mike
    • New Recruit

Hi @inigomedia

Thanks for your question, and welcome to WPMU DEV!

You could set up different levels and achieve this.

So create two levels perhaps and both would be able to access downloads, but only one would be able to access the restricted content.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Mike

• Mike
    • New Recruit

Hi @inigomedia

Have you tried using the media groups?

Go to Membership > Options > Downloads/Media

On there you will see "Protected Groups" each group needs to be on it's own line, so maybe have default, PDF and DOC then upload files and assign them to the relative group.

If you want access to be specific to a certain filetype then you'll probably have to create an access level for each type.

Cheers,
    Mike

• inigomedia
    • New Recruit

That's great - thanks Mike.

Is there a way to post a different 'not available except for members' message instead of going to the name of the document in a URL?

Is there some code that's used so we can pop that in. We want people to get the idea that if they see the restricted content mentioned they'll want to join.

There's a separate issue of only showing restricted content to logged in members, but that's one step ahead.

• Mike
    • New Recruit

Hi @inigomedia

There are shortcodes you can use on pages depending on the level names. You will find them on the levels page.

But essentially they work like this:
    [level-free]Free users see what is here[/level-free]
    [level-paid]Paid users see this[/level-paid]

Cheers,
    Mike

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.