Trying to use CustomPress

I'm trying to understand if we can use Custompress for adding content? Is this plugin actually used extensively? Is there some use cases for it besides the 1 minute video? Does it really just create the data structure and then you can only add items through the wordpress interface? Or can you load data in bulk for it as well? For example, I'd like to create a post type I guess of expert tips (different from a normal article) and another post type of rankings or listings (like top 10 wordpress caching plugins)? Would this help with that?

Also, can I expose the form to create this data so its not on the Wordpress admin look and feel and just like a regular form within a site that has all sorts of other functionality.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Candace,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The "CustomPress" is an "interface" for creating and managing custom post types and custom taxonomies. These are actually "data structures", as you called it. Usually they are created with a code and often it's just faster and easier to use an "interface" like this plugin. Some WordPress users also doesn't feel comfortable playing with the code directly. That's why we created CustomPress.

The plugin is not meant to and was not designed to help add/manage content. It doesn't support content upload (so to "upload content in bulk") and doesn't carry any forms.

You will however be able to create your custom post types with it easily and also add custom taxonomies (like e.g categories) and manage custom fields.

With other plugins (like front-end posting plugins with custom post type support) you could also expose the form on front end.

If you have any additional questions on this, let me know please.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Candace

Thanks. So high level this is pretty similar to doing inserts in the database or some type of data manipulation to enable custom types but in a structured front end way. [i'm assuming there actually are no files generated as part of this plugin?)

What other plugins do you offer then that do this part you mention? [front-end posting plugins with custom post type support]

Would this work then for my use cases? Expert tips? Listings?

• Dimitris

Hey there Candace,

hope you're doing good and don't mind chiming in here! :slight_smile:

i'm assuming there actually are no files generated as part of this plugin?

That's true indeed! Everything is being stored in WP database instead.

What other plugins do you offer then that do this part you mention? [front-end posting plugins with custom post type support]

At the moment there isn't any plugin like this in our plugins listing.
    Some 3rd party solutions are:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-user-frontend/
    https://wp-types.com/home/cred/

Would this work then for my use cases? Expert tips? Listings?

Of course! You can create these custom post types and even create custom taxonomies and custom fields for those! :wink:

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.