Trying to use the BuddyPress registration with Protected Content

I am trying to lock down a BuddyPress site with Protected Content. This is an effort to replace a hand-crafted solution I already have in place using the "Protected" visibility on Pages, where I am passing in a hashed password when I link to the pages. Anyway, I am pretty happy with my current registration page for BuddyPress. I have it trimmed down to the minimum and I use a Math Capcha provided by the BuddyPress Security Check plugin.
I get the two-step process for Registration using Protected Content, but I don't like the default Registration page that I get in step two of the [ms-membership-signup] shortcode. My question is two-fold. I would like to point the "Signup" button on the Membership Level selection page to the old default BuddyPress Registration OR I would like to be able to modify the Protected Content registration to include the BuddyPress profile fields (I could use a Form to do that, too, but I don't know how to send users to it from step one).
Secondly, since ALL of the registrations come from the Protected Content page, I would like to redirect users to the page they were trying to access after registration. I am currently using a plugin called BP Disable Activation Reloaded to supress the Activation Email and redirect to "#". I would use the WPMU DEV plugin, but it doesn't work with BuddyPress. The Protected Content registration ignores the redirection and sends me to the Registration Successful page, forcing the user to navigate back to the page they were trying to access in the first place.
I hope this all makes sense.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Dan, hope you're doing well this evening! :slight_smile:

#1: While integrating BuddyPress's Extended Profile field functionality into the Protected Content signup form has been brought up as a feature request, for the moment, we'll have to go with the unstated option #3; that being this:

- Force them to register an account on your site using the BuddyPress register page first, you'll need to set the registration page inside of BuddyPress to point at the page that Protected Content uses, and remove the Protected Content shortcodes and text from the page.

- Then, once they register an account & log in to your site, we could use that BP Disable Activation Reloaded plugin of yours to send them over to the Memberships page that Protected Content has, so that they can register for a subscription.

I'd be glad to have a closer look at this for you, but I'll need you to enable Support Access to your site first. :slight_smile:

#2: The trick with this one is that while having a user log in from this sort of a page and be redirected is possible:

http://mysite.com/protected-content/?redirect_to=http://mysite.com/the-page-that-is-protected/

The thanks is due to that "?redirect_to" added to that URL. When going through the registration process, there's no such parameter attached, and while the developer may have his thoughts on the matter, preserving such a parameter through all steps of the registration process wouldn't seem to be possible at this time.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance here please!

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• dmuchnok

Hi Michael,

I appreciate the response and it sounds like a good idea. I think what I'm going to try is to install the full Membership plugin and give it a try. Membership allows me to define a default membership level for all registrations, which gets around the whole issue. I will be replicating this solution for a few other sites and I may just do it in a MultiSite environment with Membership instead of PC.

Since I am going around the whole Membership process, I may still be able to to the registration redirect as well.

Thanks again!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.