Trying to use two domains for my install, one TLD for the frontend and the other for the backend

HI guys.. first time caller, long time listener...

Sorry about this but this is going to have to be a long question. I need to explain my situation and I, with thanks, ask for advice on the concept as well as a solution to my problem(s). I also cannot give the real TLD names to protect the innocent.

Some background: Our company makes white label mobile phone apps and I am setting up WP as the backend content service for these apps. Each new app we sell will be given a blog (on a subdirectory) that they will use to manage and add content on their app. As a result, when we reach our target sales, we will have many hundreds of apps in the market, each of them connected to their own blog belonging to our network of blogs at the ‘backendcms.com’ domain.

We have/will have multiple app platforms, eg: business app, real estate app... and so on. Each of these platforms will have similar, but not identical, content needs and purposes, so they each will need their own WP content network. I have/will, therefore, create several WP networks on the backendcms.com TLD. Each of these sub-directory based networks will be on their own subdomains (hence bizapp.backendcms.com as the 'home location' for the Business app content network).

I also plan to provide two 'front-ends' to each content network. One front-end is the particular app that is connected to a particular client’s blog. The app will connect to the blog via the backendcms.com domain (this domain has a dedicated IP) and clients, too, will log into the backendcms.com domain to manage their content. Of course, it will be necessary to direct them to their particular subdomain network where their blog is located (eg, bizapp. backendcms.com/<blog_name> for a business app platform).

The other 'front-end' is a separate TLD. For the example of the bizapp. backendcms.com network, this TLD is ‘shoppingfrontend.com’. I want to create a 'shopping mall' on this domain that presents the content of bizapp.backendcms.com in a MarketPress driven network where each app backend blog has also become a shopping site on the ‘shoppingfrontend.com’ TLD.

Additionally, I need to provide the same shopping, payment and functionality features to the visitors at shoppingfrontend.com as well as the individual users of each individual app. So, a visitor can go to shoppingfrontend.com/<name_of_app_blog> to purchase products, make appointments (with Appointments+), get events (with Events+) and so on. Likewise, that same capability will be in the app belonging to that same blog cms connected at bizapp.backendcms.com/<name_of_app_blog>. I will also be using prosites and multi-domain to manage these networks and offer upgrade features to clients.

Phew... sorry, that was a lot of info.. but I felt I needed to explain so that you knew what I was doing, to let me know if I am attempting the impossible or to tell me how to do it better, and to help me with this issue...

My issue/problem: I have (I think) installed multi-domains and domain mapping correctly. And have also added ‘shoppingfrontend.com’ as and parked TLD. I can access the admin area via bizapp.backendcms.com just fine. However, when I browse to shoppingfrontend.com the url resolves to bizapp.backendcms.com - I need the url to remain shoppingfrontend.com. Also, I can access a test sub blog at bizapp.backendcms.com/testblog, but I cannot get to it (404 error) at shoppingfrontend.com/testblog

My other question: Are you able to advise me on your thoughts about my concept? Will it work?

I plan to do a similar thing with another network at resapp.backendcms.com and another TLD for a real estate app and real estate listings site. I, too, have other app platforms in the pipeline that will do same. So I’m hoping that this concept is sound and replicable.

Thanks so much

• synergy3c
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi GHC, thanks for your comment. No, those are not the real domain names. I can confirm that the real domain names do resolve to the server. I did not want to have my real domain names viewable here. When I made the post, I assumed it would create a suport ticket where I would provide my real domain names.

I can pass on my domain names in private to those who require.

The issue is that the frontend.com domain resolves to bizapp.backendcms.com but then bizapp.backendcms.com takes over and the browsing session is done through bizapp.backendcms.com. I want the site to be accessible from frontend.com, but have the backend accessed at bizapp.backendcms.com. bizapp.backendcms.com will also serve data to the apps.

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Hello @synergy3c Cant you use a plugin like connections for this. This would handle the rolls for who has access to what pages etc... then for the actual domain names you could either use a redirect from the control panel, also have this password protected as well. Just thinking of a possible easy solution.

• synergy3c

Thanks Dean. I am not aware of the connections plugin, but your description of what it does seems not to me to fit the situation (in as much as my limited knowledge enables).

I don't want redirects.. I want the network to be available on two domains, the backend one for the admin and app data service, and the frontend one for presenting the same data and sites for the shopping site.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

The way that our domain mapping plugin works:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping

Is that the front end will have any domain you map.

You can then select the admin to use the original domain (rather than selecting mapped domain). So if the network install was on backend.com then all sites would use sitea.backend.com/wp-admin/, siteb.backend.com/wp-admin/, etc, etc.

And the front of those sites would be what ever you map there.

If you needed it working differently then you would need to custom code that.

Is that what you're looking for?

If not then could you create a set of short 1 to 2 line questions about what you need.

Thanks.

• synergy3c

Ok, Thanks Timothy. I am assuming I should ask those short questions in this same thread? If not, let me know and i will place them again on new posts. Until then.. here are my questions, with thanks:

1) I want to be able to map two domains to the entire network. One domain will be used for the backend for all sites on the network. The other domain will be used for the same network on the front end. What do I need to do to set that up?

2) I have read that networks need to be on a top level domain, however, i wish to have several networks on the same backend domain and place each of these networks on subdomains. I wish to then use different top level domains to access these networks on the front end. if the networks are on subdomains of the backend domain, will the network be stable and will it work?

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

@synergy3c Not sure if you accidentally marked this as resolved or not. Anyway it appears to be marked as resolved. Ill flag @timothy and see if he is online now or not.

Not sure which timezone your in but members here are from all over the world so sometimes responses are quicker than other times.

I myself was going to see if I could get a better handle on what you're trying to do and will have a diagram in about an hour. Are you going to be around then?

• synergy3c

@Dean Kaus. Thanks. No worries. I am fine with the timing and didn't mean to give the impression that i was not. I am in Australia and am aware we are all over the world. I just thought that it would be better if I split the questions into separate smaller ones as this is how I interpreted Timothy. I 'closed' this ticket to minimise confusion.

Thanks for your help. I will indeed be around for for the next 16 hours as it is morning where I am.

As we are still working on it, I will open this ticket again. I also created two other posts in relation (https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/two-domain-on-one-network-one-for-the-backend-and-one-for-the-front-end#post-291904 and https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/install-multiple-separate-networks-on-in-subdomains-of-the-same-top-level-domain#post-291914 for your reference).

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Not sure if the multiple threads are the way to go, but you may get different responses due to the shorter titles. I'll work on this a in a bit and get back to you.

I think that we may be over complicating this but I do have a few questions to clarify my understanding.

1) You want 2 domain names to point to the same Main Web Page?
    2) From this main web page you want to have it split into a Front and Back End website that will ultimately control several sub-domains?
    3) Who is your hosting company (this is very important) since what your describing will need a bunch of power and the typical shared hosting will not handle your needs from what I understand about your future potential.

let me know these couple of questions and then I'll try to map it out logically

• synergy3c

Thanks Dean. I have attached a diagram in hopes of simplifying.

Answers:
    1) Almost.. I have a network physically located on a subdomain (bizapp.backend.com) and this is the domain where site admins go to manage their site and where all apps connected to each client's site will go for data. Another 'alias' domain (shppingfrontend.com) is where all web browsers will go to view the same network and its sites.

2) The network located on bizapp.backend.com will have many sites in a subdirectory structure. The second 'alias' domain (shoppingfrontend.com) will be the frontend of the entire network. So a site at bizapp.backend.com/site1 will be administered from bizapp.backend.com/site1/wp-admin but it will be browsed from shoppingfrontend.com/site1 . If it is posible, it would also be great to allow a site owner use their own domain names as aliases to shoppigfrontend.com/site1

3) I am using a Virtual Private Server with dedicated IPs to this domain and others. I have full control of the config and can allocate resources as I need.

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Let me see if we work backwards if this will make more sense and streamline this a bit.
    I'm definitely not a networking expert by any means bot more of a visual guy.

So bottom line is you want to have several mobile app stores and several Shopping sited. For sake of sanity lets' just say that your going to have a bunch of stores selling apps and other stuff.

Do all of these stores have to have their own subdomain and or domain names?

I think that the front end domain and backend domains may be overkill as you (in my thinking) should be able to control access by admin or member privileges.

Then you just drill down from the top. So top level is 2 domains pointing to the same main site (pro-sites, membership, multi-blogs or anything similar) to control access to the sub sites.

I think I'd be better off letting @timothy or even @aecnu step in here and see what they can come up with. I had started a diagram but my diagram program doesn't do exactly what I thought you were looking for. In my opinion the simpler the better. Clients especially now days are like water, they'll take the path of least resistance.

Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

1) I want to be able to map two domains to the entire network. One domain will be used for the backend for all sites on the network. The other domain will be used for the same network on the front end. What do I need to do to set that up?

We don't currently support that. The plugin isn't design to function in that manner. Sorry.

I've not tested.... but.... and I'm think aloud here.... You could create your multisite with the domain you want on the back end. Then enable wild card on the other domain as well.

As you create each site you also enter the subdomain into the domain mapping plugin. So:

Domain1.com -- Backend

sub2.domain2.com -- Front site for ID2
    sub3.domain2.com -- Front site for ID3
    sub4.domain2.com -- Front site for ID4

The main site would still be domain1.com on the front end.

2) I have read that networks need to be on a top level domain, however, i wish to have several networks on the same backend domain and place each of these networks on subdomains. I wish to then use different top level domains to access these networks on the front end. if the networks are on subdomains of the backend domain, will the network be stable and will it work?

Our Multi-Domains plugin isn't a multi network plugin as such. It allows you to offer blogs at multi domains like:

sub4.domain1.com
    sub5.domain1.com
    sub6.domain2.com
    sub7.domain2.com

The network admin is only one and doesn't change.

Hope that clarifies.

All that said I think WordPress 3.5 might be bring in Multisite Networks... So this could change everything...

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.