Tuning off admin functionality in sub sites

How do I get more user control?
For example I will be building the template sites.
The site admins will not need to set the appearance settings.
Also site categories and other features I will set permanently.
I do want them to have full control over post moderation.
Where do I find the setting for what show in the admin and user panels for the sub sites?
Should I install a more advanced membership plug in?
What would that be?

Also: It would be nice to be able to use the html plug in on a per site basis. That way when the site admin sends they can send ther own brand to their members.

Thanks for all
Richard

• WebDoc
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hey Richard,

Here is a link to a plugin called Menus that allows you to choose which menus to show your admins. I have never used the plugin and I'm not sure how it will play with others.

I'm not familiar with the html email plugin yet but you could try activating it on the site level rather than a network activate. That might do the trick...

Hope I was at least a little help.

Best regards,
    David

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Richard,

Adding on to what David has suggested, here is one more : http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/admin-menu-editor/

I'm not familiar with the html email plugin yet but you could try activating it on the site level rather than a network activate. That might do the trick...

That is a nice idea.Activate it site by site instead of network activate.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC

• Richard

Those are great answers and most likely solve the admin menu issue.
    But....
    None of my plug ins are showing up at site level.
    They are network activated, and work in the sub sites.
    But they do not have any control functionality at site level.
    The plug in link is in the menu. It goes to the page, but no plug ins listed there.
    No way to add plug ins at that level either.
    any ideas?

• Richard

Update; By the way I found this.!
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/multisite-plugin-manager/
    You guys were all over the page!

Plugin management for WordPress Multisite that supports the native plugins page and the WPMU DEV Pro Sites plugin! Used on thousands of multisite installs across the web. Previously known as WPMU Plugin Manager, it uses a backend options page to adjust plugin permissions for all the sites in your network.

Thanks for all
    Richard

• WebDoc

Richard,

I installed the plugin manager that you've shared and I got this warning:

WARNING: Multisite Plugin Manager and the Premium Plugins module are incompatible. Please remove Multisite Plugin Manager.

I am running Pro Sites which includes the Premium Plugins module. I'm not sure if you are able to use Pro Sites for your application but I am able to control which membership level can use specific plugins but they don't actually remove / hide them from the plugins menu. It's more for showing the user possible configurations and up-selling membership levels.

I have done a little more research on the html email plugin for your users but I could not find anything that appears to achieve what you are looking for. Sorry.

Best regards,
    David

• Richard

I did as you recommended and It did not throw an error on site creation..
    Unfortunately it ti not create the sub domain either. I will try to do some research on why my site is not creating the sub domains, but if you know could you share?

I did not care for the plug in managers functionality. The above menu managers solve what I was trying to do.

All the sites have a common theme. I can find something nice for the html email that will compliment all the sites.

Thanks for all the extra work.

• Richard

I just found out from my host that when they switched me to dedicated server they did not switch my servier ip in my registrar account. Now I'm running there to switch DNS servers for all 37 domains.
    From what I've gathered I add a *.domain.tdl to the DNS entries.
    Does it need to be my main name server for all or the domain name for he site?
    Is that all there is to a wildcard?

Thanks for all
    Richard

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Richard,

Greetings and thanks for chiming in and update us on the same :slight_smile:

I'm sure I will have more questions.

Anytime :slight_smile: Please feel free to open a thread whenever you have any questions and we will be around.

Cheers
    PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.