Tutorial for changing the way products are listed?

Hi, I'm new to WP so I don't quite understand the process outlined in the MarketPress Network Options. I was expecting that the product listings could be easily toggled via the store admin interface, but it seems like I will have to use shortcodes. Is that correct?

1. If I have MP installed across the network, can I manipulate the way products are displayed for each store?

2. Here's the big newbie question: Uhm, exactly where do I insert the shortcode and where's an example code actually looks like in the end .. say, for example, products to be sorted in ascending order of price?

3. Are there existing plug-ins which will help on the front end as well so that user can sort products themselves?

• Philip John

Hiya!

1. If I have MP installed across the network, can I manipulate the way products are displayed for each store?

You can using the theme, yes although you'll have to do this for each sub-site and the site admin will be able to change it unless you specifically stop them from doing so using another plugin.

2. Here's the big newbie question: Uhm, exactly where do I insert the shortcode and where's an example code actually looks like in the end .. say, for example, products to be sorted in ascending order of price?

You can insert shortcodes into any post or page as necessary. To sort by price ascending you'd use;
    [mp_list_products order_by="price" order="asc"]

3. Are there existing plug-ins which will help on the front end as well so that user can sort products themselves?

I'm not aware of any that will do that I'm afraid. It is possible, but you'd need a custom solution.

Phil

• Mark

Hi Phil .. forgive my ignorance, but that only seems to work for the front page (and only if I set my front page as as a static page). If I select a category on the sidebar to view the products, they are still listed in the default manner, not the manner I prefer. Any suggestions?

I guess I'm just surprised that an e-commerce plug-in doesn't have the ability to sort products more easily, i.e. by selecting order in a drop-down menu. Is this a specific limitation of MarketPress or a general limitation of Wordpress? Thanks...

• Philip John

Posts (including custom posts, as used by MP) are always listed in reverse-chronological order, which is the default built in to WordPress itself.

If you wanted to show them differently on the home page you will need to use the shortcode within a page and set that as your front page in settings.

As for the widget - if you're using the MarketPress products widget you do have the option to sort the products by a number of different criteria, using a drop down, and the order. You just need to drag the "Product List" widget to your sidebar in Appearance > Widgets.

Cheers,
    Phil

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.