Tweaking theme to work with CoursePress Pro

I am using the cartel theme with coursepress. On the whole, it works pretty well. I've changed a few of the php files to updated title heading sizes, etc. But there are some more things I'd like to change. First, I noticed that the courses page is using the blog archives template. Is there anyway I can change that to either a page template or a custom archive template named Courses?

I also noticed that, when on a course page, the widget that shows the most recent posts (normal Wordpress widget) only shows the course post instead of the posts in my actual blog. Is there any way to fix this?

Third, the View Full Profile link under the instructor goes to page not found. Any idea what could be happening there.?

Last, I have course enrollment set to registered user but is there any way to add an enrollment button that everyone can see?

Check out the page here: http://www.knanthony.com/courses/

Thanks,
Kristin

Michael Bissett

Hey @Kristin, hope you're doing well today!

First, I noticed that the courses page is using the blog archives template. Is there anyway I can change that to either a page template or a custom archive template named Courses?

If you'd like it to use it's own template, then you'll want to create a custom archive template inside your theme, called archive-course.php. You can see what the default one looks like by checking out:

/wp-content/plugins/coursepress/themes/coursepress/content-course.php

As well as the content file that it references:

/wp-content/plugins/coursepress/themes/coursepress/content-course.php

I also noticed that, when on a course page, the widget that shows the most recent posts (normal Wordpress widget) only shows the course post instead of the posts in my actual blog. Is there any way to fix this?

Looks like we've run across a bug here, I'm seeing the same behavior occur in my test site (with only CoursePress Pro active on the site, and the Twenty Fifteen theme in use), we'll want to bring this to the developer's attention.

Third, the View Full Profile link under the instructor goes to page not found. Any idea what could be happening there.?

This would look to be due to the directory where you installed WordPress, due to what the code looks to inside of:

/coursepress/includes/classes/class.shortcodes.php

(line 2401, specifically)

Inside that file, you can try changing the code there from this:

$profile_href = trailingslashit( site_url() ) . trailingslashit( $instructor_profile_slug );

To this:

$profile_href = trailingslashit( home_url() ) . trailingslashit( $instructor_profile_slug );

(please note, that core code changes will be overwritten on an update to the plugin, so you'll want to note down the changes made here)

Last, I have course enrollment set to registered user but is there any way to add an enrollment button that everyone can see?

You would need to enable registration on your site by checking the box for "Anyone can register" inside of:

Settings -> General

That would allow users to register for your site, and sign up for a course, all at once.

Kind Regards,
    Michael