Custom Twenty Thirteen child theme header images not being displayed?

I created a child theme for twenty thirteen, and included the images/header/ directory with custom images, using the same names of the default twenty thirteen header images... however they are not being detected. Google search shows others have had the same issue, with no resolution as to why. The common workaround is to replace the images in the twenty thirteen parent theme, but of course they get overwritten with every update of twenty thirteen. Any one here know why custom header images aren't working for twenty thirteen child themes?

• Michelle Shull

Hey there, xbladerunner!

First up, which method did you use to create you child theme? There's an older way, which is also a bit simpler, by using @import in your child style.css, and the more modern (and also slightly more complicated) method we describe in a blog post here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/how-to-create-wordpress-child-theme/, which uses enqueue. If you used @import to create your child theme, this may actually be causing your issue here.

Next, are you seeing the default twentythirteen images in the header of your child theme, or broken image links?

Would you mind sharing a link to your home page so we can run a few tests?

Thanks, xbladerunner.

• xbladerunner

Thanks Michelle,

I use a plugin to create child themes, and it uses @import in the style .css

No broken links, I'm seeing the actual images, just from the wrong location.

The site using the child theme is a nonpublic subsite in a multisite environment, one that is used with the New Blog Templates plugin, so I'd rather not reveal its location publicly, but can send it to you if necessary.

• Tyler Postle

Hey xbladerunner,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your question!

So it's @imported the parent CSS into the child theme but the header image isn't working properly? What if you add in the header image CSS directly into the child theme, that should work I would think :slight_smile:

No broken links, I'm seeing the actual images, just from the wrong location.

I'm a bit confused here. Your seeing the images but not from the right location?

If you could send further information to us through our private contact from then we can take a closer look :slight_smile:

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me :slight_smile:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Look forward to hearing back!

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.