Twitter API - User Email is Not True Email for Social RSVP

Hi there,

I was able to set up the Social RSVP feature correctly but noticed that when running a test from my Twitter account - the return email or user email is not the one I use for my profile. It is a hybrid of our site url (livingforliz) twitter's url (twitter) and my username/profile name on Twitter.

I have the eNewsletter plugin integrated as well, thus the importance of making sure that updates that I send out to people who have subscribed actually be delivered to them.

Thank you for the support.

Bryan

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @theumbrellaagency

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

Sorry, I didn't understand you properly. Would you please explain me a little bit more?

when running a test from my Twitter account

That means you are trying to join in an event by twitter register? (make sure you are logged out then)

the return email or user email is not the one I use for my profile

Where do you see that? And which profile - WP or twitter?

Please let me know. It will help me to recreate the issue in my test site.

Cheers
    Ash

• theumbrellaagency
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Ash,

I was logged out when testing the API. Yes.

I went to this url (not logged in): http://livingforliz.com/events-calendar/2014/06/l4l-motorcycle-tour-2014/

I clicked: 'I'm Attending'.

The Twitter login screen popped up and I entered my username and password.

I got the green 'Thanks for registering' message.

Then I clicked on my user profile up in the top right. My twitter avatar loaded. So, I know it is connected.

When checking out my user profile - the real email I use for my Twitter account is not the one that is showing up in the WP Dashboard. See screenshot below.

_

And it is not showing up on my Feed as a Social RSVP. It works fine with FB.

_

I may just may hide the option in this instance if there is too much of a bug that needs to be ironed out. I noticed some other threads stating that they were having the same issue as well.

Either way, I appreciate you taking a look to see if something can be done without requesting further development/feature debugging.

_

Bryan

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

This is correct and, actually, it's the expected behavior. The Twitter API does not provide the user's email address as part of the OAuth token negotiation process nor does it offer other means to obtain it (https://dev.twitter.com/docs/faq#6718). However, since we do need an email in order to silently register an user, we're automatically creating an email address for them as a workaround for this issue. Please, note that this only affects Twitter logins, so if obtaining an actual e-mail address from your users is paramount in your scenario, you may want to disable logging in/registering with Twitter.

• theumbrellaagency
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

HI Ash,

Thank you for the clarification, confirmation, and suggestion to disable the Twitter Button. That's what I did. It is a good 'split the difference suggestion'.

Hopefully, someday the Twitter API will allow for us to grab the user's email address too (for this plugin). It would really raise the usability of it in combination with the eNewsletter extension.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.