Twitter #FollowFriday / #Shoutout plug-in

Anyone interested in developing one? I've been looking for someone to dev one for the iPhone, but I don't see why it couldn't be done as a WP plug-in?

I have some very specific ideas on how I'd like it to work feature wise. I'd attempt to do it myself, but honestly . . . I suck at coding.

Anyone?
Beuller?
beuller?

Cheers,
--Pete

• pete_stagman

Sure Jack,

There used to be an iPhone app called LazyShoutOut that worked almost the way I'd like it to. It worked for about a year then stopped working and the dev fell of the earth.

It had several prebuilt templates and the ability to create your own with ShortCodes. It used twitter lists to generate the shout out, so you could have different lists of people to shout out to.
    ie:
    "Happy #Friday [listname]"
    "[template][listname]"

And it would generate as many of those tweets needed to complete the [listname] list.

The problems with it were:
    If you had a LOT of names in the list, you'd exceed your twitter quota for the hour and be in #TwitterJail until the clock ran out. I'd like to be able to schedule the tweets to trickle out. Maybe a couple dozen per hour, configurable, that way the user doesn't exceed quota and the tweets look more organic and personal.

If you did the same lists, shout after shout, the same names would always be together. There should be a Scramble option so that different names would be listed.

A feature to optimize tweets. Try to put them in an order that produces less tweets overall.

Do it as a free service, subscription, pay to play, or pay by like. It'll put some stress on the server might as well try to make it worth while.

I know I had more ideas. i'll have to find my notes.

Thanks,
    --P

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi Pete,

That certainly sounds like it would make a great plugin! I also like your idea of the scramble option, as I've used a couple of things that work in the same way, as desktop software and as you say the same names would always be together.

You've definitely got a +1 from me!

Anyway else like the sound of this? +1 it! :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack (Coding-Monkey).

• aecnu

Greetings Pete,

Thanks for bringing this up, it certainly sounds like a useful plugin.

Unfortunately, as my colleagues have pointed out, it's not currently available - but we'd love to put it into consideration for future development which might take a bit longer than useful.

Alternatively, you could see if there is a developer available at wpmu jobs who could get onto it right this minute.

Thanks again and it is great to have you as a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.