Twitter instructions not up to date?

The instruction to allow for Twitter log in do not seem to be current. This is what is listed...

Register this site as an application on Twitter's app registration page
If you're not logged in, you can use your Twitter username and password
Your Application's Name will be what shows up after "via" in your twitter stream
Application Type should be set on Browser
The callback URL should be http://radioviceonline.com
Once you have registered your site as an application, you will be provided with @Anywhere API key.
Copy and paste them to the fields on the left

There is no Application Type named Browser
I can not see any key listed as @Anywhere API key, plenty of other keys, but not that.

Suggestions? Can the instructions be updated or am I missing something?

• aecnu

Greetings spidercreations :slight_smile:

sir you must be correct that the instructions are somewhat out of date considering the line - Application Type should be set on Browser - while at the same time this line in itself on the twitter side would have unnecessary because everyone - for all intents and purposes - be using Browser.

Sir are you having trouble with the application?

I have attached a screenshot below of the application to let the web site developers see what we are talking about in relation to the instructions :slight_smile: and that there is no longer any such animal as choosing browser :slight_smile:

Joe :slight_smile:

• Steve McGough

OK - I'm assuming I can just skip Step 4 in the instructions from reading your answer.

But I have no idea which key to use as the application instructions tell me to input an @Anywhere API key. What I see on the Twitter developers page when logged in is a consumer key, consumer secret, access token, access token secret. (Those are on the Details table when I have created an access token.)

The OAuth tool tab in Twitter developers area also includes the same consumer key, consumer secret, access token and access token secret numbers as displayed on the Details tab.

The instructions that are within the plugin are out of date and need to be updated.

Attached is a screen shot of the plug in instructions for Twitter as shown in the plug in. These steps must be updated.

I've also included a screen shot of the Application Type section on the Settings tab of the Twitter developers section.

The chat room does work (I'm still testing), but without this information, I can not have people log in using their Twitter account. I have not gotten to Facebook yet.

• aecnu

You are correct that the instructions step 4 are out of date and should be updated on the web site.

Sorry for the cause of confusion.

yes sir the application should be set for read and write.

Please take note of the fine print at the bottom of the screen shot you sent me sir and you will see the statement about @anywhere applications :slight_smile:

Please let me know how you make out :slight_smile:

• aecnu

sir the instructions say that once your site is registered as an application that you will be an @anywhere API Key.

Therefore it is safe to assume that you did not receive one?

I have researched previous history threads and could not find a single mention of this in the past sir, making me think that Twitter has gone through a recent change.

Please advise as to the status of receiving or not receiving an @anywhere API Key?

• Steve McGough

Joe,
    Thanks for your prompt replies. Twitter did not send us (via email) anything called an @anywhere API Key.

A Google search on 'twitter @Anywhere API key' resulted in the following threads...

https://dev.twitter.com/discussions/474
    https://dev.twitter.com/discussions/615

It seems as though Twitter changed the API Key reference to Consumer Key. I will try that and see what happens.

Steve

• aecnu

Greetings spidercreations,

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by
    yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live
    support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free
    to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as
    Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• Steve McGough

Joe,
    Just so you know. The orignal issues stand. The instructions are totally out-of-date for this plug in, and even though WPMU promises "new features are being added all the time" that is NOT the case at all.

As far as I can tell, there has not been a new feature for the WordPress Chat plugin from MPMU in about one year. (Not fixes or tweaks, I'm looking for new features.)

When you log in with Twitter, there is no way for someone to put a message into the chat box. It certainly may be my installation, but the screen shot above shows what's happening. I have not even tried FB yet.

I've basically put this on the back-burner since I can't seem to figure out a clean way to implement it and the instructions are thin.

What I really need:
    - Updated instructions for the plugin. More than three weeks ago I pointed out major issues (with the instructions) that have not been fixed.
    - Ability for viewers to see the chat without logging in. What's happening in the room. I need to allow lurkers in the particular installation I'm working on.
    - If they want to contribute, I'd like them to log in with FB or Twitter to contribute, but I want to give them the option of creating a WordPress account with us locally to contribute (like we do now). Honestly, FB and Twitter are not necessary, but a nice to have.
    - I need a simple way for participants to look back in time about 24 hours or so, within the window. (Take a look at the CoveritLive application that looks great, but it's not an open chatroom. I can not be bothered with clicking to archive stuff. After about 10 minutes of chat, the archives should be archived and easily available to registered users. Again, check out CoveritLive.

When my subscription is up, I'm going to have a tough time justifying renewing simply because there are many plugins here that can be so much better than they are, yet they are not improved upon.

Steve

• aecnu

Greetings spidercreations,

Thank you for your feedback once again.

As you mentioned about your subscription ending and justifying re-subscribing - hopefully that decision will kick in after our combined several new support staff and developers influence have kicked in.

Documentation is already being straightened out at a pretty good pace of two a day and one of the new developers that I am aware of has been working over coding.

So things are looking up as the new people get settled in.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• Kimberly

Hi Steve!

Just wondering if you have the latest Updater plugin installed?
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/update-notifications

It's perfect for letting you know ASAP when an update has been released!

You can use this in lieu of waiting around open threads, as it can often get confusing, to find out when the next update is out. If you'd like to go this route then feel free to close this one, if not, no worries :slight_smile:

• S H Mohanjith

@spidercreations

Thank you for reporting the issue with Twitter instructions, I have updated it in the trunk.

I can't seem to reproduce the issue with not being able to post after logging in with Twitter of Facebook. It's also strange that the sign out button is displayed but the textarea is not shown. Would you have a link to your site where the issue is happening?

- Ability for viewers to see the chat without logging in. What's happening in the room. I need to allow lurkers in the particular installation I'm working on.

I believe current behavior is to allow viewers to see the chat without logging in. I'm not sure I get what you want here, if you could elaborate it would help.

- If they want to contribute, I'd like them to log in with FB or Twitter to contribute, but I want to give them the option of creating a WordPress account with us locally to contribute (like we do now). Honestly, FB and Twitter are not necessary, but a nice to have.

I'll add a link to wp-login.php so users can click and login with a WordPress account or register for a WordPress account.

- I need a simple way for participants to look back in time about 24 hours or so, within the window. (Take a look at the CoveritLive application that looks great, but it's not an open chatroom. I can not be bothered with clicking to archive stuff. After about 10 minutes of chat, the archives should be archived and easily available to registered users. Again, check out CoveritLive.

It would make sense to have a option to auto archive per chat basis. You will be able to set how often chats should be automatically archived.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.