Two Factor Authentication is making log in twice

I'm getting a strange occurrence on all of my websites. My guess is that it has something to do with automatically logging me out after one day.

Basically, when I log into any of my sites, I go through the usual Username/Password/2-factor thing... and then it makes me do it a second time.

I think it only happens when the session expires (due to the Manage Login Duration from Defender)

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi dittoddt

Sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

I created a new account test to check if this happens on my end too, I also created the same situation on my website, and I can test both logins. Unfortunately, I will need to wait the login expires ( tomorrow ), in this meanwhile, I need some extra information.

Does it happen when 2-factor is activated, or without it enabled too?

Could you try to log in using the incognito mode, or clean all caches of your browser before your next login, and check if the problem persists?

And the last information, are you using any specific browser, like chrome, or it is happening on others browser too?

Let me know the pieces of information, and I can run a complete test to try to replicate this on my end.
    Best Regards,
    Patrick Freitas

• Nathan
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I'm also experiencing this issue. If I log out manually and try logging back in, it doesn't ask me to sign in again, but if the session expired, it says it expired after a successfully login the first time.

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi Nathan

Sorry to hear that you are having this issue too.

I still not being able to replicate on my end, could you please, inform if this is happening in any specific browser, windows/mac.

Also, try to flush all caches on your browser before login when the session expired, and try to login with all caches cleaned, and check if the problem persists.

Let me know that information, and I can try to replicate this on my end with a specific browser / OS.

Best Regards,
    Patrick Freitas

• dittoddt
    • Flash Drive

I'm using Chrome (latest version) on a Windows 10 PC (all updates). I sit at an ash desk and use an ergonomic keyboard/mouse. I'm a Gemini and like long walks on the beach... (too much?)

The problem is still persisting with clearing my browser cache and all that fun stuff. Problem is, I'm about to enforce 2-factor on all of my clients starting at the beginning of the year and if this is still an issue, it won't look good on me.

Either way, I'm sure you'll figure it out or realize that I probably should have never bad-talked that shaman back in the 80's or something like that. To quote George Michael, "you gotta have..." (too much?)

• Patrick Freitas
      • Staff

Hey dittoddt

How are you today?

The hardware part sounds excellent, ergonomic keyboard/mouse are great stuff to use, unfortunately, the long walk on the beach is not possible in my city, however, I do like it too, :disappointed:

The software is noted, I will be testing on the same as well, once I checked on my MacOs and Chrome. :wink:

Best Regards,
      Patrick Freitas

• Nathan

Hey Patrick, so the other day when I sent out that message, I deactivated the "Manage Login Duration" feature and today when I went to refresh the page I was signed out (session expired) which then I was able to login in without having to do it twice.

So I would say there is something wrong with the Manage Login Duration.

• Greg

I also often experience this issue: I'll go to log in, it'll say that my session has expired based on the duration that I set, and so I'll enter my creds and click login, and then it just returns to the login screen.

The second time I try to log in, it works. This is even on sites that don't have 2-factor enabled but do have the login duration set.

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi Greg

Thanks for the update.

I was able to replicate on my end.

It did have the same behaviour on the second day on my tests, the first day I was able to log in on my first attempt, however, on my second day after entering the Google Codes for 2-fact it returned my session expired, and I needed to re-login.
    I'm reporting to developers.

Best Regards,
    Patrick Freitas

• jdcogmon
    • Flash Drive

HI Patrick Freitas
    I like Defender but lately I am losing faith. I keep having to sign in twice using two-factor authentication. Once the authorization works, sometimes I am left on a blank page. Any ideas as to how to squash this bug?
    JD

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.