Two multi sites on one shared hosting

Hello, I have primary.com and secondary.com on a single IP, Shared Hosting; each one has installed WPMU. Both of them have wildcard DNS. Both domains are working fine except subdomains of secondary.com. When I'm trying to enter to the subsite of secondary.com it redirects me to a register page of the primary.com
Secondary.com it's restored backup of Primery.com. I used Snapshots plugin.
Any thoughts, please.

thank you

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Yuri,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Housing two separate Multisite install on a single shared server (even sharing an IP) should be absolutely possible so I suppose the key to that behavior is that the "secondary" is a "restored primary" in fact.

That said, I think there are either some "leftovers" in database tables and/or some configuration "glitches" on "secondary". Could you please follow these steps:

1. On a secondary site make sure that all the URLs has been updated inside the database to point to the new domain. This plugin may be of help here:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/better-search-replace/

2. In the "wp-config.php" file of a secondary site: make sure that these lines are set properly:

define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'secondarysitedomain.com');
    define('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/');

3. In the ".htaccess" file of a secondary site: make sure that nothing points to the primary domain and that there's no redirections to the primary site.

Let me know please if it helped!

Cheers,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Yuri!

There's one other thing that came to my mind worth checking. Since you have granted access to your site I was able to confirm that this is a site in question and check its settings. I then used pingdom DNS health tools to examine the domain and one of the sub-domains. Although there were no errors for the top domain, this is what I got for a sub-domain:

Delegation not found at parent.
    Not enough nameserver information was found to test the zone test.getwp.net, but an IP address lookup succeeded in spite of that.

This leads me to thinking that there might be some "glitch" in the domain's DNS configuration. It seems like sub-domain weren't pointing anywhere and therefore were just directed to an IP address. This then resolves to your other domain. The conclusion: I think that my first replay wasn't quite right as in case you've got a single IP there's no good way to setup wildcard A records for both domains. Both this A records would point to the same IP and this leads to conflicts.

The solution for this would be to turn this secondary domain (or even both) into "wildcard CNAME" DNS instead of standard "wildcard domain" DNS. This means that instead of settings something record like this for your domain:

*.example.com A 192.0.43.10

you'd set a CNAME record

*.example.com CNAME example.com

The drawback here is that although it's an acclaimed standard not every service provider supports it. The easiest way would be to give it a try (you should be able to set this up in your cPanel) but if this doesn't help you may want to ask your hosting provider for help.

Let me know if this worked for you.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.