Two small bugs in course structure when logged in

We've noticed that when a user is logged in and they go to the course details display view and look at the Course Structure, there are two issues that arise:

1. The links include an extra slash in the URL. The result is that, if you click on a second page or later in the unit, you will actually be taken to the first page instead of going to the page that you clicked on.

2. The required time is misaligned from the page. It seems to be offset below the page itself.

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi Ryan,

Hope you're well?

I'm not seeing this on my own site, but I might be looking at the wrong place entirely.

Could you post a URL to the page where this happens so I can see & possibly a couple of screenshots so I know what to look for exactly.

If you could also grant support access via the dashboard plugin in case we need to take a look at the settings. See https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Thanks

• Ryan Hale
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Vaughan -

Yes, first you need to be logged in as a user who is enrolled in a course. I've granted support access at grapevine.education and you should be able to see this in thinkministry.grapevine.education.

The course where this was initially found is here:

https://thinkministry.grapevine.education/courses/new-spoc-training/

These are the users enrolled as students in that course:

donnac
    ryan@ryanjhale.com
    thinkministryadmin

When logged in as one of those users, go to the URL above and you will see the Unit and Page structure in the Course Structure section.

From there, try clicking on Software Basics - Part 2. You will see that it actually takes you to Software Basics - Part 1.

I believe that this is because there are two slashes in a portion of the URL. Here is the link URL to Software Basics - Part 2:

https://thinkministry.grapevine.education/courses/new-spoc-training/units/software-basics//page/3

Look between "software-basics" and "page" in the URL.

If I remove the second slash from that page and try to go to Software Basics - Part 2, it takes me there directly.

The second issue appears to be a formatting problem. I've attached a first screenshot of what a user sees when logged in. You'll see that the time is on the next row down. This contrasts with what you see when not logged in which is the second screenshot that I'm attaching. In that case, the time is displayed on the same row, which I think should be the correct display.

Just for reference, I've replicated the same issues on another site in my network which you can see here:

https://cricon.grapevine.education/courses/security-management-course/

Hope that helps!

• calvinrogercanas
    • New Recruit

Hello Ryan Hale,

Hope you're well!

For problem #1:
    Unfortunately I still can't find the cause of the issue but still looking for it. May I ask if this is a live site or still on development? Thanks.

For problem #2:

Put this code to your active theme's "style.css" to align the time. Navigate to /wp-content/themes/your-current-theme/ using your preferred ftp software.

To the very bottom of the style.css :slight_smile:

.course_structure_page_li.single_column .tree-page-right {
    	width: 20%;
    }

Hopefully it will fix the formatting issue. :slight_smile:

Looking forward for your reply. :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Calvin

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi ryan,

I can't replicate this on your site, I created a test user and enrolled and the units work fine, no double slash.

Can I have permission to change the password on one of those users you mentioned above so I can login with their account and check? Though I can't think of a reason it happens with those users but not with others.

Thanks

• Ryan Hale
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Vaughan, we've continued to experience this problem and have continued to see the double-slash in the URL. Below is a screenshot that I took today with this problem.

As a temporary fix, I have modified line 1540 in includes/classes/class.shortcodes.php to remove the extra slash that was placed in the link. This fixed the problem. Here is my update, commenting out the offending slash:

$title = '<a href=&quot;' . $unit_class->get_permalink() . /*'/' .*/ 'page/' . $i . '&quot;>' . $p_title . '</a>';

Can this be removed in the core plugin so we don't see this issue any further?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.