Two WPMUDev plugins break my theme (Divi, from ElegantThemes).

When I installed CoursePress Pro and Appointments Plus, my theme (Divi, from ElegantThemes) is seriously broken. The elements on my pages are mixed up, the alignments are out of order, the size of testimonial boxes are much smaller, etc. This seems like it's probably a CSS issue, but I'm really not great at CSS, otherwise I'd probably take a stab at fixing this. Is there a simple fix?

When I disable both plugins, my site's layout goes back to normal. And when I disable the two plugins singly, one at a time, some things are fixed but all.

I really need these two plugins. Can you help?

Thank you!

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @WellHelloThere,

Hope you're well today! Don't worry! We'd be happy to help. :slight_smile:

Would you be able to post some screenshots of the parts that are broken with the plugins activated and link me to a site where the plugins and theme is activated so I can check the css. :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• WellHelloThere
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Jack, I'm going to try adding the following CSS I found on WPMUdev, using the Simple Custom CSS plugin. I'll report what happens:

.site-content #masthead {
    display: block;
    }
    #masthead > div.no-print.top-strip .wrapper {
    }
    .site-content #content {
    }
    #footer #supplementary {
    }

• WellHelloThere

I know you most of you lovely WPMUdev tech support people live 9-14 hours ahead of me (I'm east coast US), so you've probably been sleeping while I've been working. :slight_smile: .

I'm going to go ahead and deactivate the plugins for now so that I can get some work done on the site.

If you need access to the site or you wish for me to turn the reactivate the plugins, please let me know here, and I'll have it done inside of a few minutes.

When I do go to sleep later on, I'll leave the plugins activated and support access on so you can dink around.

Thanks again for your help. This CSS problem has me really worried. These two plugins provide essential functionality for the site. I really need them--and you! *grovel-grovel* :slight_smile:

• WellHelloThere

No, Vinod, I have not deactivated either plugin. They are both network activated and have been for the past 12 hours! :wink:

Of course I don't mind you having access for troubleshooting. Be my guest! :smiley: I've had support access on for 12 hours, too! LOL

Thank you so much for helping me!

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi @WellHelloThere,

Thank you for your reply.

I activated the plugins and could reproduce the issue on your site.

To resolve the issue try adding the following CSS code in the style.css file of your child theme or add it in your site using the following plugin.

http://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-css

.et_pb_row .et_pb_column {
        margin-right: 0;
    }

.et_pb_row .et_pb_column:first-child {
        margin-right: 60px;
    }

Best Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• WellHelloThere

Oh no... Vinod, I'm sorry. I thought that was the end of the problem. It's not.

On this page, http://homeschoolbird.com/pricing/ the blue price boxes and text near the bottom of the page are misaligned. Both horizontally and vertically, they should be evenly spaced.

Also, I see the same sort of error on the homepage http://homeschoolbird.com , half-way down the page, where there are three icons and text, the one on the right "Bulletin Board" is also misaligned.

Can you help? (Thank you!)

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi @WellHelloThere,

The plugins CoursePress Pro and Appointments Plus are working fine with default Themes, our WPMU DEV themes and with any other themes that follows best WordPress coding standards.

I think the theme that you are using has many issues and this may be because it has not developed according to the WordPress coding standards.

As developing a lot of custom code for third party theme is beyond the scope of support that we provide you can consider contacting theme author for it or hiring a developer from https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/ to develop it for you.

Any other issues, we're here to help.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member and have a fantastic day!

Cheers,
    Vinod Dalvi

• WellHelloThere

Dear Vinod,

I'm using Elegant Themes' Divi theme--their flagship theme. Elegant Themes is a well-respected company, has over 250,000 customers, and most certainly does code according to current WordPress coding standards.

WPMU DEV plugins should not break themes. Not all WPMU plugins break the Divi theme. In fact, out of all the plugins I'm using, I only have problems with Appointments Plus and CoursePress Pro. Since that is the case, I can only conclude that it is those two plugins that are at fault, not the theme.

I'm not asking you to "develop a lot of custom code." There were only three small CSS adjustments that needed to be made, and you've already made two of them, for which I thank you.

There is only one more CSS problem that I cannot fix. If you wish me to go to this respected theme developer with a report that your plugins break it's flagship theme, I will...but I'm a huge WPMUdev fan and cheerleader, and I'd hate to say anything bad about WPMU anywhere! I'd like to avoid that.

Gosh, if that sounds like a threat, believe me, it's not. I'm just sincerely confused here ...

I'm thinking that maybe your last response was a canned response that got triggered automatically. After all, it's only one more small adjustment to CSS that needs doing here, not a whole re-coding of a theme. And it's the last problem I'm experiencing. It doesn't seem like too much to ask and certainly not enough to provoke a "Sorry, Elite User, but you're on your own!" sort of response.

Gosh, I wonder if anyone from WPMUdev will look at this thread ever again. If that was a canned response, the question has probably been marked as "Noise" at this point and will be ignored. :disappointed:

And if anyone does read this ... thank you. :wink:

• WellHelloThere

Dear Vinod,

My problem is solved now.

I had to delete three short lines of code in the default page template of my theme. I don't count this as a theme problem, as it happened only with WPMUdev's Appointments + or CoursePress plugins activated. No other plugins triggered this problem--including other WPMUdev plugins!--even though the other plugins also access the themes' default page template.

The theme I'm using did not have "many problems," nor did the resolution to my problem involve "developing a lot of code."

You were very kind to solve the first two bits of this puzzle for me, and I appreciate that more than you know, but I do think you threw in the towel a little too soon on the final part of the puzzle. I sorta felt abandoned.

So for $20, I hired an elancer to figure out why WPMUdev's plugins were conflicting with my theme. It took the guy about two minutes, start to finish, to figure it out and fix it--something I think my WPMUdev "Elite" membership should have covered. Ah well, that's okay. Everyone makes mistakes, and you're forgiven. :wink: I still think you're wonderful, and I'm still a WPMUdev cheerleader. Hugs!

Thanks again!

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @WellHelloThere,

Hope you're well today! Sorry about the confusion on this, we definitely would have helped with this. :slight_smile:

Glad to hear you got it resolved though and if we can be of any assistance please don't hesitate to ask.

Hope you have a great weekend! :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.