TypdPad antispam Implementation

We're looking to implement TypePad AntiSpam into our installation. Anybody have any feedback on how to implement this on a sitewide basis? Any feedback appreciated!

• Tracy
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Thanks guys! I've got the code in there.... I wasn't sure because the AntiSpam menu doesn't appear as it does normally to tell you how many spam you've caught... looking forward to seeing this thing work. Good stuff.

• Tracy

Hmmm. This should be a simple one, but I'm still not doing it right. I'm not getting the menu you mention drmike (although it does appear when installed into plugins)... and I'm not seeing a decrease in comment spam so it doesn't appear to be working...

I've hardcoded key into line 17 and uploaded to mu-plugins... I also deactivated all plugins to see if there might be a conflict.... to no avail. I'm using version 1.02 ...

Very strange, this should be pretty cut and dry....

Any ideas on anything else I might want to try?

• Tracy

Ahhhhh. It does not want to live in the "typepadantispam" folder (even though this works when placed in plugins folder), but wants to be directly placed into mu-plugins > antispam.php .... doh. Thanks again for your help guys.

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Last time we discussed this on the mu trac, you couldn't put the main plugin files into subdirectories within mu-plugins. (Although you can with regular plugins.) You had to place them directly within /mu-plugins/ That one seems to sway back and forth from time to time.

• jcnjr
    • HummingBird

I knew I remembered finding details about hard-coding that key somewhere!

FYI: I've got this running with the typepad plugin directory in the regular plugins folder on 2.8.4a using mp-plugin-manager with auto activate for all users. Just hardcoded the key on line 17 so new users do not get the annoying activation notice when logging into their new blog.

But for the record, all users had to do is click the notice, and our master key would get applied, they would not have to enter a key, just click the notice and it would go away. Now they don't even have to do that. Thanks!

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

It would be helpful if you discussed how you;re installing it. Not sure why you're seeing a "plugin could not be activated" error when you don;t activate the plugin. Install it within the mu-plugins subdirectory and run it from there. Should work fine.

• Jack
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I use this in mu-plugins and it works great! I do have one problem though. Comments that are marked spam by typepad show up in the the activity stream and in the site-wide activity feed. They remain there until I delete them. Any ideas?

• Faithe76
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

A concise summary to installing TypePad Antispam as a free alternative to Akismet for WPMS. I followed this advice, and it has worked well:

1. Go to TypePad Antispam
    2. Under the "Get Started" link, Download the plugin for Wordpress
    3. Then obtain an API Key (you'll have to register a Typepad account)
    4. Upload the contents of the "typepadantispam" folder to your mu-plugins (NOT the folder - apparently the contents have to be placed directly into the mu-plugins folder in order for it to work)
    5. Open "TypePadAntiSpam.php" and enter your API code between the ' ' (approximately line 17)
    $typepadantispam_api_key = ' ';
    5. To verify that it is working go to your Dashboard. You will see Typepad Antispam information displayed in the "Right Now" box. (it won't be displayed in the plugin area)

I hope this is helpful to have the instructions all in one post...

• manilaboy
    • Flash Drive

Will typepad anti-spam work well with buddypress and bbpress installed with WPMS? Will it work on all sites in the network?

How do I resolve the issue mentioned below:

I use this in mu-plugins and it works great! I do have one problem though. Comments that are marked spam by typepad show up in the the activity stream and in the site-wide activity feed. They remain there until I delete them. Any ideas?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.