subdomains, domain names, & domain mapping with multi-domain

I have mainnetworkdomain1.com as the main domain.

Also there is domain2.com, domain3.com, domain4.com, etc.

I am able to make subdomain1.domain2.com, and basically anysubdomain.anydomainonnetwork.com without issues.

Is it possible to create domain2.com without a subdomain? Would I need to create subdomain.mainnetworkdomain.com and point domain2.com to that mainnetworkdomain.com subdomain?

Can we create domain2.com and http://www.domain2.com and in addition still add subdomain1.domain2.com, subdomain2.domain2.com?

Worded another way - once we enable multi-domain do the sub-sites on the WPMU network need to have a subdomain unless it's mainnetworkdomain.com? I.E. Additional domains must be a subdomain on the network or a domain.com pointing to a subdomain on the network?

Happy Monday!

- David Monk Sr

• Ash

Hello @David Monk

Welcome to WPMU community!

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

Let me explain in a different way.

Domain mapping is used to map a subdomain with a domain, where multi domain is used to map the network domain with another domain.

For example, you have decided to use the following domains for network:
    network1.com
    network2.com
    network3.com
    mainnetworkdomain1.com (main domain)
    So, you can add all four domain to the main network domain using multi domain plugin, that means all 4 domains will show the same site.

When you will create subsite, you can create subdomain for any of the above domains like:
    subsite1.network1.com
    subsite2.network2.com
    subsite.mainnetworkdomain1.com

If you use domain mapping plugin, you can map any of the above subdomains to any domain, like:
    subsite1.network1.com => mapped-domain1.com
    subsite2.network2.com => mapped-domain2.com
    subsite.mainnetworkdomain1.com => mapped-domain3.com

But you can't add same domain as mapped domain and multi domain.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.