Ultimate Branding - can I see one thing and client another?

If I use this plugin, how do I get to the parts of the wp admin I need to and not show parts I don't want my clients in?

• Charlie Pryor
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Teresa,

Several ways you could do this. Ultimate Branding comes with some modules that can be activated and deactivated from its primary menu. This will allow you to switch on and off certain parts of your site's admin areas and change the contents of other areas to what you'd like them to be.

Another way to do this would be to adjust the User Roles for users, and disallow access to certain site roles. For example, you could make people "Editors" instead of admins, and then adjust what an Editor is allowed to see and use. This would allow you to retain Admin status and see everything, but manage what other users could see.

The final thing I'd say is an option is to set up access levels in Membership to remove certain functionality to all users in a certain access level, and then place people in that access level. This is likely not the 'simplest' way of doing it, but all three of these ways (I think) are great solutions.

Hope that helps.

-Charlie

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi there @Teresa

Welcome to the forums, glad to have you aboard!

Some great tips there by @Charlie Pryor !

You may also want to have a play with our Easy Blogging plugin to really simplify & brand the admin:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/easy-blogging/

Or have a play with one of these:
    http://wordpress.org/plugins/adminimize/
    http://wordpress.org/plugins/admin-menu-editor/

I hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

• Teresa
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Charlie
    Thank you. I guess I'm still a bit confused as when I login, I see the Branding plugin with all the options as well as along the top I see:

"Your Jetpack is almost ready – A connection to WordPress.com is needed to enable features like Stats, Contact Forms, and Subscriptions. Connect now to get fueled up!
    Connect to WordPress.com
    Easily get updates, support, and one-click WPMU DEV plugin/theme installations right from in your dashboard - install the free WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin. (find out more)"

How is it that when my client logs in he will not see the Branding plugin and the notices above the top?

• Charlie Pryor

Hey Teresa,

All of the information spread to you from WPMU DEV (such as that dashboard notification) will only appear for the administrator that activates the WPMU DEV Dashboard. No other users will ever see it, even administrators. No worries there. Just install the Dashboard plugin and you can manage that much easier (and install updates, get support, see new products, etc. easier as well).

The important thing here though... is that only the admin that activates it can see it ever. Noone else will.

The Jetpack notification is because you activated Jetpack on your site, but never connected it to a Wordpres.com account. It would appear that way, again, only for admins (individual site admins would see it as well if they activated jetpack with their sites within multisite, or if you have it network activated).

• Teresa
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks again. I think I got it.
    One thing I can't seem to figure is where to send my client to when they need to login to the admin. I made them an editor and created a new in the admin bar called login - of course that redirects to /wp-login.php

Am I in the wrong place for this?

• Teresa
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello
    I'm kind of waiting on an answer to my question before giving my client their login for their site.

Is there a way to change the domain.com/wp-login to something more like just /login?

One thing I can't seem to figure is where to send my client to when they need to login to the admin. I made them an editor and created a new in the admin bar called login - of course that redirects to /wp-login.php

• Charlie Pryor

If you made them a link to the login in the admin bar... then they've have to already be logged in in order to see it.

What I do on most of my sites, is just place a small link in the footer called "Login" or something similar, that navigates to /wp-admin. if they are logged in already, that link will take them to their dashboard. If they are not, it will redirect them to login, and then take them to the dashboard.

There are already lots of links to dashboard functions in the admin bar, but the admin bar can only be seen when logged in (usually).

• Teresa
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Charlie
    You lost me.
    I made a custom login for them called
    domain.com/login
    When I enter that in the address bar, it resolves back to /wp-login.php which defeats the purpose of even setting up a custom login url.

have I left off a step or is this how it works?

• Charlie Pryor

Oh sorry. Yes you've only changed it in a way where it redirects.

You can use a plugin called "Better WP Security" to actually change the directory as it appears for all. Be sure to read things over though, to be sure there aren't any compatibility issues for you. There are several great things with this plugin that improve the security of your site as well.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/better-wp-security/

I use this myself on a number of sites.

- Charlie

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.