Ultimate Branding Custom Menu not available for guests

I'm using Ultimate Branding to create a custom menu in the admin bar. In looking at the settings, there is nothing to account for guests, or non-logged in users. All my user roles are shown, but there is nothing for guests.

Part of doing this is so I can create a link back to the hub site on the network and I would really link this menu (and its links) to be available to guests (and search engines!). With the settings the way they are, I can only make that custom menu available to logged in users.

Is there a way to make it so everyone can see it? Can we guest support added to the settings for this?

• Milan
    • WordPress Wizard

Hello @Saunt Valerian,

I trust you are having an awesome day and thanks for the posting. :slight_smile:

What I understood is that you want to add custom menu at admin bar for guests( non-logged in ) users right ? If this is you want to achieve then I am afraid this is not possible out of box right now.

One clear reason of this behaviour I can see is that wordpress lets admin bar only be available to logged in users. And our ultimate branding plugin tweaks admin bar rather than creating new one.

But alternatively you can use default menu mechanism of wordpress to satisfy your requirement. What do you think ?

Let me know your valuable views on this answers. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Milan.

• Saunt Valerian
    • The Bug Hunter

Well, I can argue that there is a solid use case for this. This multisite, and BuddyPress (and you guys heavily support both). Because I'm using BP, the admin bar is always visible. BP has a setting to always display the admin bar, even to logged out users. Moreover, I want the admin bar visible for this very reason. This feature actually used to be available in earlier versions of Ultimate Branding (or, at least the stand alone admin bar plugin - but I don't want to switch to that since I'm using other modules of Ultimate Branding as well).

I think making it available to non-logged in users is a logical thing, it makes the module more comprehensive in what it does and allows for a wider variety of deployments. I'm using it to brand my multisite network, having that menu there is part of it and the way I'm using multisite and BuddyPress is a pretty normal way that you guys typically support across your entire plugin range.

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi Saunt,

Hope you're well?

I don't see my admin bar at all when using BP and logged out even with the option enabled in bp settings. I disabled Ultimate branding and the admin bar still doesn't appear.

I don't see the admin bar on your site either.

I can add a guest user role to the plugin though. But it requires editing the plugin core files.

I have included the changed files here.

Just download and unzip the attched zip file to your desktop.

Then upload the included /inc folder to your /wp-content/plugins/ultimate-branding/ultimate-branding-files/modules/custom-admin-bar-files/

Making sure the 2 included files are overwritten.

Hope this helps

• Saunt Valerian
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi, @Vaughan thanks for providing those files. I see how it added the option in the settings, but it didn't seem to work on the subsites. The menu is still not available http://teaconomics.teatra.de/

The admin bar is showing up correctly, but the menu is not being added.

To display the admin bar in BP to logged out users, there is a setting for it in the BuddyPress settings to turn it on. You'll find it in the settings tab "Show the Toolbar for logged out users"

• Michael
    • Flash Drive

It does appear indeed, even deactivate the UB. The amdin bar could be set as appeared for logged out users. Admin Panel => Setting => BP => Setting, and the first option it is. "Toolbar: Show the Toolbar for logged out users"

• Saunt Valerian
    • The Bug Hunter

I need to revisit this. Just running through and fixing some bugs on my network and I discovered that this is no longer working. I suspect my version of Ultimate Branding has been updated, so I added in the files provided above and they no longer work. The custom menu is still not visible to guests.

I noticed there was a more recent thread from February 2017 where another user here was asking for assistance with this and they were linked to this thread. Can we get a fix for this, and maybe proper support in the plugin to enable showing the custom menu in the admin bar to guests?

Here is a link to a site on my network where it is setup in the admin, but not showing on the front end: http://artoftea.teatra.de/

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi,

I checked the files with latest release & there is little difference, they should work.

Let me get bp & UB configured on a test site again, and see if I can figure it out again. it may be a change in wp or bp itself that has affected it as there's been a lot of updates to core & bp in the last 18 months.

Thanks

• Saunt Valerian
    • The Bug Hunter

Thanks for having another look at this. I'll keep an eye out for an update here.

Is there any chance this could get approval to be feature pushed out into a new version of the plugin. Seems like a good idea to support this? What do you guys have to do internally to get something like this included into one of the plugins?

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi,

Can you try the following:

Copy the 2 files in the inc folder to

/wp-content/plugins/ultimate-branding/ultimate-branding-files/modules/custom-admin-bar-files/inc/

Note: Buddypress needs to be installed and active.

Hope this helps, i'll try & get this pushed to the main release.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.