ultimate branding plugin (my first) does not work... causes server error or just fails.

I am a customer ... a very new one... and the 1st plugin I installed did not work... ultimate branding plugin (my first) does not work... causes server error or just fails. I am using this on a single installation of WP not MU... I read that this was ok in one of your forum chats... it is the reason for my signing up. Thanks

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @webcontrol

I hope you are well today. Welcome to WPMU DEV!

Sorry to hear of the problems your having.

Could you try disabling all other plugins as David @SqueezyDee said, Then try and re enable the Ultimate branding plugin.

How are you installing the plugin? Directly via the WPMU DEV dashboard, via wp-admin > plugins > add new > upload or via FTP?

Could you check your error log please, you can find this in your hosting account normally within the public_html folder;.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• webcontrol

Well for some odd reason it just worked this time... I will try it again on another identical install... but that time it worked. Perhaps I renamed the zip file when it downloaded. Could that cause a problem? Being new to WPMU I am unaware as to how much of your own branding you add to these plugins... When I activated this white label plugin I was greeted with "Easily get updates, support, and one-click WPMU DEV... etc" which is an idea I would like to consider... however my sites are set up for clients and it won't look very good having WPMU written over everything. What should I expect to find when I activate your plugins? Lots of branding or are these designed for real world users? Thanks for your help!

• WebDoc

@webcontrol,

I use most of the WPMU DEV plugins and there is very little of their own branding built in. I think they really develop for the web designers and developers. The areas I notice it are on the plugin and themes list for my clients. I use Pro Sites and the plugin and theme descriptions have a link to WPMU DEV page which is fine with me because it is clear to my clients that I am not developing the code. I just collect useful tools, put them in one easy to use location and my membership fees are essentially for my help and support with their sites.

Glad you got your problem solved.

Best regards,
    David

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @webcontrol

I hope you are well today.

Glad that your problem with the plugin is resolved :slight_smile:

It could cause an issue, renaming the zip, even though it shouldn't do, but it is a possibility.

I think David (@SqueezyDee) Has summed up the branding that we put in very nicely there, so on most plugins it's only that dashboard notification and that can either be removed by taking a piece of code, or if your using the WPMU DEV dashboard, that notice will go away and you can hide any other notices in WPMU DEV > manage

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• webcontrol

Thanks for your replies. I found the plugin was not very stable to edit so I ended up using one from wordpress repository. Is there a way to find the wmpu plugins that do individual white label tasks... the ones that were put together to make up the ultimate plugin? @Jack... which piece of code do I need to remove and if using the dashboard is that only visible to super admins? Last question... is, if I use the easy blogging plugin will this remove all the other plugins from the interface and only permit posting of content or would it allow me to display these other plugins as normal so that users can still access them? Thanks!!

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @webcontrol

I hope you are well today, sorry you didn't find the plugin stable, could you tell me why that was?

I'm afraid the plugins that make up part of ultimate branding are all by default only multisite compatible and won't work on a single site install, the only one that will is the custom admin bar https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/custom-admin-bar/

With the piece of code, you to remove, is that to remove the notification about the notification plugin? If you installed the WPMU DEV dashboard, it will only be visible to the person who installed it (you), you can also stop people from seeing it's update notices in the wpmu dev dashboard > manage.

With easy blogging by standard it has set pages that people can access, though you can add custom menu items to allow access to other plugins, settings, features etc. That is also multisite compatible only.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• webcontrol

Hard to describe what was unstable but basically I got lots of errors when editing the code and it seemed fine with the plugin from the repository... I see you use these conversations to rank in the search engines... which is nice for you... I hope people realize that this is not private support. What are you using to power this support thread?

Off topic but... if I install buddypress on a wordpress site does it automatically use two separate themes? The wordpress site theme and the buddypress theme? Or do I need to do something? How/where do I install the buddypress theme without overwriting the wordpress one? Thanks!

• webcontrol

Hard to describe what was unstable but basically I got lots of errors when editing the code and it seemed fine with the plugin from the repository... I see you use these conversations to rank in the search engines... which is nice for you... I hope people realize that this is not private support. What are you using to power this support thread?

Off topic but... if I install buddypress on a wordpress site does it automatically use two separate themes? The wordpress site theme and the buddypress theme? Or do I need to do something to make that happen? How/where do I install the buddypress theme without overwriting the wordpress one? A link to an answer is fine. Thanks!

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @webcontrol

I hope you are well today.

Is that it then? The limits of "incredible" support

No it isn't, please bear in mind we get hundreds of new threads daily, each one we need to follow up on, my last response was 5 days ago and you last posted 23 hours ago. Some tickets/threads can take longer than others to resolve.

I hope people realize that this is not private support. What are you using to power this support thread?

People do realize that this is public, support threads are public so it's helpful for other members to be able to search for their issue and see if there is already a resolution, This is a customized version of bbPress.

f I install buddypress on a wordpress site does it automatically use two separate themes? The wordpress site theme and the buddypress theme? Or do I need to do something to make that happen? How/where do I install the buddypress theme without overwriting the wordpress one?

You can't have two separate themes, only one theme can be active on a site at any time, unless you are doing something such as A/B testing, but this would show a random theme, and not 100% the correct theme for the correct part of your site, one way around this would be to use a WordPress multisite install and have a sub domain or sub directory with the buddypress install on, as then each site can then have it's own theme, with the release of BuddyPress 1.7 it has now made it easier than ever for developers to be able to make sure their theme works well with BuddyPress.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• webcontrol

Well I did not realize it was a public thread initially. I guess I am a little frustrated that I am not getting to use the plugins I wanted because either 1) they are multisite only and I did not realize just how many were MU only. or 2) Because the few that I might use have links to this site in hard to find places which defeats the purpose of using them, for example - For more detailed instructions on how to use refer to WPMU DEV Maps Installation and Use instructions.- and - Global defaults are configured in Settings > WPMU DEV Maps - on the gmaps plugin. or 3) because there are better ones available from other sources. - At this time, for a little chat and one plugin, I feel paying a year in advance was very unfortunate.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @webcontrol

Thank you for the additional information and I'm indeed sorry to hear that you are disappointed with the plugins so far.
    Could you give me a list of which ones you were hoping to use and a reason why they won't work in the situation you need to use them?
    This way I can see what solutions we can come up with you for you.
    I'm happy to assist with any problems your having, with any plugin, did you get Ultimate branding to work?

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member, I look forward to your response.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• webcontrol

Could you give me a list of which ones you were hoping to use and a reason why they won't work in the situation you need to use them?

not at this time as I am busy enough as it is and I have not tried all the ones I want to try... however of the 8 I've tried I've used one... it is rarely going to be something you can fix it is more a feature comparison or the fact that they are too heavily branded.

did you get Ultimate branding to work?

No I got one for free from wordpress which seemed more versatile

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @webcontrol

I hope you are well today, sorry for the delay I was away yesterday.

Sorry to hear about the problem, if you'd like to provide any feature requests or feedback general, we're always take it on board, as we're always looking to improve plugins etc.

I'm glad you found a branding plugin that suits your needs.

If we can be of any assistance please don' hesitate to ask, we're here to help.

Thank you and I hope you have a great day! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.