Ultimate Branding Text Change not working

Hello,

I'm trying to use the Network Wide Text Change feature in Ultimate Branding, and it's not changing all of the text in the Dashboard. I need every instance of "Post" or "Posts" to say "Quilt" or "Quilts" respectively according to the changes I've made on the Network Wide Text Change page in the Branding section at the Network level, and it's not working.

Since there's no way to attach a screenshot when making a new post at this URL "https://premium.wpmudev.org/qanda/" (which seems very strange) I'll attach one to the next post.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Raevenne

I hope you are well today, thank you for your question.

I've just been testing this and it won't change the text that is in the drop down boxes in the admin bar, would it be possible for you to use the custom admin bar feature, so that this way you could rename them?

Thanks for being a WPMU DEV member!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Raevenne
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Jack,

Yes, I can do that for the admin menu bar, however I don't see a way to have my custom menu appear at the right side, rather than all the way to the left side as shown in the screenshot here. Is there a way to accomplish that?

Even if there's a way to accomplish that, that doesn't fix the title of the Posts page itself. How do I fix that part so that it says Quilts?

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Raevenne

I hope you are well today, I've just been testing this for you.

And I'm afraid there isn't a way to change the "Posts name" on that page, That would require custom work.

However a way around this would be to use CustomPress https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/custompress/ you could then create a custom post type and remove the rights for a user to add a blog post, so you could create the custom post type "Quilts" for example.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Raevenne

Yes, I thought that would be the answer after looking at all of this myself. So "Network Wide Text Change" is a bit deceiving really, isn't it?

About the admin bar: Is it possible to add more than one Custom Menu? How do you position the custom menu where you want it to be?

How do I use this plugin to create a menu such as WPMU DEV uses here?

• leejacksondev
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi,

CustomPress is your best bet as you have full control of the language of that post-type and you leave posts free for blogging etc in the future.

Regards the name of the plugin, it does work when removing branding elements like "WordPress" as well as other phrases. What it can't do in my experience is override some of the core wording and language well, however that is why post-types are available.

Regards adding more items, this snippet should help. Save your code as a plugin in plugins and network activate it.

http://wp-snippets.com/addremove-wp-admin-bar-links/

Good luck :slight_smile:

• Raevenne

Yes, I've already been working with CustomPress to implement the functionality I need, but the point in the beginning was that I didn't really need a custom post type to do what I wanted to do. There won't ever be any blog posts for this project, so the combination of changing the Post and Posts text to Quilt and Quilts while still keeping the default post type would have been just fine, if the Network Wide Text Change bit would have worked on all instances of Post or Posts.

Thank you for the link to the snippet. I had already decided that I'd have to code a solution for the admin bar myself as many of the plugins for just that that I've found don't offer enough control or customization--including this one--and I'll keep track of that snippet in case it will be of use.

Thanks for the help.

• leejacksondev

Hi,

I get what you want to do. If you really want to use Posts then the best way would be to upload an alternative language file to ensure any reference post is replaced with Quilt.

You only need to edit the entries in the mo file that referent Post or Posts

http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_in_Your_Language

This is the only sure fire way to do it I know of as any text change plugin cant delve through all the php to grab text and replace it.

I've done this before when simplifying descriptions for fields and more. Its still all the original english but with a few customisations from me.

If you need any help let me know :slight_smile:

Lee

• leejacksondev

Heres a WP gude: http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress_in_Your_Language

Note the following once you have your alternative language installed:

Multi-Site Installations
    If you have a site network (Wordpress multisite), the language is set on a per-blog basis through the "Site language" option in the Settings->General subpanel.

You can set the default language for the entire network under the Network Admin->Settings panel ("Default Language").

• Raevenne

@Adam--I don't have many posts to convert as this is a brand new project, but I'll keep that plugin in mind--thanks for sharing it! :slight_smile:

@leejacksondev--that's an awesome alternative that I'd never have thought of! VERY creative use of that language feature indeed. I'll keep that in mind too! :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.