Ultimate Branding Upgrade Still Breaking Site Admin

We are stuck at Ultimate Branding Verison 1.8.01 becasue if we upgrade the admin crashes and only rolling back to 1.8.0.1 restores site functionality.

In another thread I reported that upgrading Ultimate Branding from 1.8.0.1 to V 1.8.0.4 results in white screen of site admin. (I cannot find that thread or I would post a link to it. ) This happens on http://soobahkdo.biz WP 4.1.1 Multisite Network

A activaed debug in wp.config and when the the admin white screens, these are the debug messages:

Any assistance appreciated.

Notice: is_page was called incorrectly. Conditional query tags do not work before the query is run. Before then, they always return false. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.1.) in /home/soobabiz/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3560 Notice: is_single was called incorrectly. Conditional query tags do not work before the query is run. Before then, they always return false. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.1.) in /home/soobabiz/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3560 Notice: is_single was called incorrectly. Conditional query tags do not work before the query is run. Before then, they always return false. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.1.) in /home/soobabiz/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3560 Notice: is_front_page was called incorrectly. Conditional query tags do not work before the query is run. Before then, they always return false. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.1.) in /home/soobabiz/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3560 Notice: is_home was called incorrectly. Conditional query tags do not work before the query is run. Before then, they always return false. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.1.) in /home/soobabiz/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3560 Notice: is_page was called incorrectly. Conditional query tags do not work before the query is run. Before then, they always return false. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.1.) in /home/soobabiz/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3560 Notice: is_single was called incorrectly. Conditional query tags do not work before the query is run. Before then, they always return false. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information.

• Tyler Postle

Hey SooBahkDo,

As @coremedia mentioned, it would be a good idea to upgrade WordPress first.

None of those notices should cause a white screen like that. Do you see any errors in the browser java console when the white screen comes up?

I've tested this on my own site and I'm not getting any white screen. If you could do a plugin check to make sure it's not a conflict with other plugins that would help narrow down the issue.

If it's still not working after that could you send in your FTP and WP login? Then we can have a closer look :slight_smile: we'll make sure we roll you back to 1.8.0.1 if we can't get it working right away too.

You can send that privately through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me :slight_smile:

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Look forward to hearing back!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• SooBahkDo

Hello,

We are at WP version 4.2.2.

I understand that this is very likely a conflict of some kind because we can upgrade to the newest version of Ultimate Branding on 7 other multisite networks all running the same 150+ plugins and there is no problem with Ultimate Branding on those networks. I just can't locate the culprit on this network.

Deactivating all the plugins WRECKS the network configuration of network active plugins and site by site active plugins and its a nightmare to reconstruct the plugin activation configuration, so I do not want to have all the plugins deactivated at this time.

This issue started when Ultimate Branding version went past 1.8.0.1 and has persisted through hundreds of other plugin upgrades AND Wordpress version upgrades.

Just sent credentials and granted support access.

• Tyler Postle

Thanks for sending those in and the debug log as well, I received it :slight_smile:

This is likely the cause of the error:

PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function get() on a non-object in /home/[removed]/public_html/wp-includes/query.php on line 28

and it sounds like that can be caused by caching plugins. I saw you have an infinity cache option in your admin bar, try deactivating whichever plugin that is coming from.

There are a lot of other notices/warnings you likely saw in the debug log as well. The fastest way to narrow this down would be to do a plugin conflict check. In my experience, using the FTP method for conflict checks has never erased any settings; although I'm not sure if that is what you already tried last time or not.

If you wanted to give it a shot then you we explained it in the "Tip: " underneath the flow chart on this page: https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

Another plugin you might want to try temporarily deactivating is Wordfence, that one is known to cause conflicts as well.

Hopefully it's the cache plugin that way we don't have to deactivate any others to check :slight_smile:

Let us know!

Look forward to hearing back.

All the best,
    Tyler

• SooBahkDo

Hi Tyler,

I have already done everything in the troubleshooting article multiple times over the last few months.

The plugin with the Infinity Cache Extension is WPTOUCH PRO 3.
    I completely deactivated it on the entire network and tried upgrading Ultimate Branding again.

WHITE SCREEN again.

Soooooooo what about these errors?

[05-Jun-2015 23:26:04 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected 't' in /home/soobabiz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/ultimate-branding/external/dash-notice/wpmudev-dash-notification.php on line 178

I compared the working version file to the broken version file and found no extra "t" ???

[05-Jun-2015 23:26:05 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected end of file in /home/soobabiz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/ultimate-branding/ultimate-branding-files/classes/ubadmin.php on line 63

I compared the working version file to the broken version file but di not see anything obvious. ???

[05-Jun-2015 23:26:19 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected end of file in /home/soobabiz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/ultimate-branding/ultimate-branding-files/modules/site-generator-replacement.php on line 138

Our entry in the Site Generator: Soo Bahk Do Biz and http://soobahkdo.biz/

[05-Jun-2015 23:26:20 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ''sitewidecss' (T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE), expecting ')' in /home/soobabiz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/ultimate-branding/ultimate-branding-files/modules/site-wide-text-change.php on line 101

We have no entry in the site wide text change configuration.

I deactivated the site Generator module and the Text Change Module and tried upgrading again.

WHITE SCREEN again.

Do these errors above suggest any other areas to look?

I know that the newest version of Ultimate Branding works on several of our other networks and I have tried comparing all settings, etc. on the working networks to this problem network to discover what is different on this problem network but without success.

Back to you....

• Tyler Postle

Hey SooBahkDo,

Those errors could mean the file is corrupt. May have happened during update. You can try downloading the latest version directly here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/ultimate-branding/

Then uploading it via FTP to make sure you get everything uploaded properly. Delete the old version and then try it out :slight_smile:

It could also be due to a memory issue as I see you do have quite a few plugins installed.

Apologies for all the back and forth question/answer too. Since this is a live site and we're not able to do a proper plugin/theme check then we may need a few more steps than usual to hunt this issue down.

Let me know if that works, if you haven't made any changes to yourself and are getting those errors then it's likely a corrupted file.

If this doesn't work, I can see if one of our coding experts can take a look and make any sense of the errors.

Talk to you soon!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• SooBahkDo

Hi Tyler,

Ok I broke down and deactivated all plugins on the entire network.

Then I manually downloaded and installed via FTP, Ultimate Branding 1.8.1.4.
    The site did NOT display the admin WHITE SCREEN.

Reactivating plugins one-by-one revealed that when Special Recent Posts Pro version Version 3.0.6 is activated at the same time as Ultimate Branding Version 1.8.1.4 the WHITE SCREEN occurs.

However, when Special Recent Posts Pro version Version 3.0.6 is activated with Ultimate Branding Version 1.8.0.1 NO WHITE SCREEN OCCURS.

Something appears to have changed in the update right after Ultimate Branding 1.8.0.1 that resulted in this conflict because that is when is 1st occurred and no Ultimate Branding update after that has worked for us.

I reported the following to the developer of Special Recent Posts Pro:

Hello,

We are encountering a conflict between Special Recent Posts Pro Version 3.0.6 and WPMUDEV Ultimate Branding Version 1.8.1.4 that results in the WHITE SCREEN of death in the admin area.

When either plugin is deactivated the site works fine, but when both are activated together, then the admin area becomes a WHITE SCREEN.

Ultimate Branding Version 1.8.01 and Special Recent Posts Pro Version 3.0.6 DO NOT HAVE THIS ISSUE.

Copy of WPMUDEV Ultimate Branding 1.8.1.4 plugin attached

Copy of WPMUDEV Ultimate Branding 1.8.0.1 plugin attached

I have also reported this issue to WPMUDEV.

Hopefully somebody can figure out a solution.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

• Tyler Postle

Hey SooBahkDo,

Thanks for reporting back here!

I grabbed that plugin off of your site to test for conflicts on my sandbox but so far I'm not getting a white screen. I thought maybe it was setting related so I copied each of your Special Recent Posts Pro settings section by section in the widget.

Still no white screen. I made sure to activate all the same Ultimate Branding modules as you too.

Hopefully this isn't asking too much, I don't mind doing it myself if you give the go ahead - I was wondering if you could test UB and special recent posts by themselves so they are the only plugins active. It could be other plugins that are conflicting as well.

Have you heard back from the other developer yet? Interested to hear what they say too :slight_smile:

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.