Ultimate Facebook

Plugin installed but will not post to Facebook. Other features seem to be working ok.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hiya @gu-rugordon

Welcome to the forums!

Could you post a screenshot of your "Autopost to Facebook" settings section please? It would help to see how you have set it up.

Also, be sure you have granted the appropriate permissions under "Grant extended permissions".

• Gordon
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Update - deleted plugin and reinstalled. Noticed that the delete did not remove the settings - they were still all in place. Everything appears to be working but nothing posted to Facebook. Will this plugin post articles retrospectively if they have not been published to Facebook already, or only new articles?

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi @gurugordon

Just saw your post here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/spectacular-support-not-as-i-know-it

@Timothy Bowers is absolutely correct in that follow-ups are taken oldest first. Posting to the same thread repeatedly actually delays the staff response time; with every post, the thread is bumped to the bottom of the queue, and can easily be missed.

But it's good to see that things appear to be functioning better with the re-install. The plugin will not publish old articles to Facebook, no.

Try publishing a new test article (you can always delete it later). If you experience similar difficulties, one thing we haven't explored is caching plugins or routines. Which brings up another possibility: are you hosting your site on WP-Engine? Their Varnish cache routine regularly buggers things up :slight_frown:

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi again @gurugordon

Timothy just reminded me of something I neglected... rather important too, given the issues you're dealing with:

You can republish to FB if needed, by removing or changing the check from the custom field on every post. When published, the custom field wdfb_published_on_fb is marked as 1 :slight_smile:

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi again @gurugordon

The custom fields block can be found just under the post editor when creating/editing any page/post.

If you don't see it, click screen options at the top-right of the screen when in the post editor. Then tick the "Custom Fields" checkbox.

• Gordon
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Patrick

Thanks for that. Now we come to the crazy part. There are three posts on the blog at the moment. I opened the first one in editor and when I looked at the custom fields it indicated that it had indeed uploaded this article to FB. I checked the second post. It was missing the "Uploaded to FB" field. I added the field and updated, and it too uploaded to FB. The third post I tried to do the same thing. First time it did not save the custom field, so I tried again and gave it a value of 0. Updated the post and still did not upload. I deleted the value and tried again. Still the same.

So we have three posts, each of which behaved differently. No idea why the first one uploaded by itself. It definitely did not upload before this morning. Also, I don't know how to persuade the last post to upload.

Gordon

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Now we come to the crazy part.

Yah. No kidding!

Well, at least we got positive results now. Something did get posted to Facebook. Hurrah for that :slight_smile:

As for this new issue of articles being posted willy-nilly to FB or not, I'm at a loss.

At this point, I'm gonna see if I can get the plugin developer to come in here and contribute his insight. Hang on...

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

Can you please check the error log page, and see if there are any issues logged there? As for the delayed appearance of the Facebook post, that's interesting indeed - the plugin will either send the publishing request to Facebook the moment your post is published, or not at all. Seeing how the post did eventually appeared on the timeline, the lag time probably has to do with Facebook itself.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings gurugordon,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.