Ultimate Facebook and SPAM issue

Hi,

I am using WP 3.3.1. and BuddyPress 1.5.3.1 and Ultimate Facebook 1.6.2

Since 3 days I have many fake register users. CAPTCHA is active and WordPress sign in widget is not active.

So the only way to register is to use Ultimate Facebook.

Each day I have to delete them manually...

How can I handle that ?

Thanks

Lamine

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

Are you sure they are Facebook accounts? If so, that would mean that Facebook has allowed them and there's little you can do other than report them on Facebook.

Otherwise, it looks like they're finding their way to the standard registration. They may just be using scripts to submit directly to WordPress. You'd need to check your logs to verify that.

Thanks,
    Phil

• lamine
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Phil,

I am talking about the Ultimate Facebook register form, see image below.

As you can see CApTCHA is active

Are you telling me I need to buy an anti spam software if this feature is active on the plugin ?

Regards

Lamine

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Are you telling me I need to buy an anti spam software if this feature is active on the plugin ?

If registration is still possible using the standard WP registration then you won't just be able to rely on the CAPTCHA in the Facebook registration.

For example, some spammers have bots that just submit directly to wp-signup.php. You'd need to look at other plugins to combat this.

Ultimate Facebook is not a solution for combatting spam.

Thanks,
    Phil

• mysendoff
    • Flash Drive

@Iamine The one that we use is SI CAPTCHA Anti-Spam, and seems to work fine with all the WPMU plugins. It says: Adds CAPTCHA anti-spam methods to WordPress forms for comments, registration, lost password, login, or all. This prevents spam from automated bots. WP, WPMU, and BuddyPress compatible.

We like it for the simplicity that we can turn it on/off for specific areas of the site, also works with Akismet. However with adding any plugin to your site, you run the risk of that plugin breaking things, so please take the time to test it with your site.

I hope that helps you with your form spams!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.