Ultimate Facebook Autopost Format Feedback

I know dev is buried in fixes / requests for this fantastic plugin, but I have to add to the pile with what I think is very useful feedback for the format of the autoposts that are sent to Facebook. I think this can be improved immensely, and I will probably make these updates myself on our local plugin, but don't want to lose them with the next update.

The current format of the autopost that lands on Facebook is redundant and not all that useful. See the attached image for a visual reference for my recommendations. The red IMO are not helpful whereas the green IMO are ideal. There are several components that could be sent to the Page Wall:
- Post Title (useful)
- Site Title (not useful and very repetitive as it will be the same on every autopost)
- Site Description (not useful and very repetitive as it will be the same on every autopost)
- Post or Default Image (useful)
- Post content summary (most useful as it will tell people at a glance more what the post is about, but this is not currently included)

The Ultimate solution would be to make this configurable so that people could chose what they want to send in the autopost to FB. But I think my ideal is a better boiler plate starting point and would be to eliminate everything that would be static / redundant / repetitive on every autopost just taking up space and only / always send:
- Post / Default Pic
- Post Title
- Post Content summary

The rest just makes the wall boring to look at when it's all the same. Thanks for your consideration!

• ClvrTv

Thanks, David... I actually dove into the code and was looking at publish_post_on_facebook() in class_wdfb_admin_pages.php and had to scratch my head. Maybe I spoke too soon. Because it looks like things are already not as far off as it originally seemed.

Attached another example from my own tests. Is it possible that the disparity lies in the author of my previous example publishing the post BEFORE there was even a title and content?

If so, then maybe all that's needed is to check before autoposting to make sure there's valid content to autopost. Maybe the author in our network clicked publish when they should have clicked Save Draft?

Maybe there isn't a problem after all. Sorry to spin everything up. Would still be neat to be able to configure this though :wink: I'll add any additional observations to this thread.

Thanks!
    Andrew

• DavidM

Ah, interesting, I should have caught that! I think I was a bit confused by the original screenshot and I've seen autoposts that look like that, though I didn't realize they may be a result of there being no title/content.

Thanks for that clarification. Please do add any thoughts you might have as you delve into this, any improvements you think can be made are definitely welcome! :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.