Ultimate Facebook Comments

Hi,

The ultimate facebook app has added a comments section to each page, how can I make the comments show only on blog posts, not pages or other posts.

Thanks,
Benji

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Benji,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Can you tell me please if you are using only the Facebook comments on the site or are they in addition to native WP comments? Also, if you switch of FB comments completely, does native WP comments show up on the pages as well or only on posts?

By default, the plugin should be adding comments only where native WP comments were enabled but unfortunately some themes handle showing comments in a "not-quite-standard" way so some additional configuration may be necessary.

Would you mind granting me a support access to your site so I could take a closer look? You can do this by following this guide here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Benji,

Thanks for granting access.

I took a look around and it seems that's indeed related to your theme however it's not a theme "option" so there are two ways to proceed: via a child-theme or via a plugin.

Via a child-theme

Since you are already using a child-theme you could also copy all "page" and "page related" template files to your child theme and then edit them and remove the parts that reference to the comments.

Via plugin

Give this plugin a try:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/no-page-comment/

Once it's installed and enabled, go to the "Settings -> No page comments" page and first tick all the checkboxes next to the "page" in "Disable comments on new:" section and update settings and then use "Disble All Comments" and "Disable All Trackback" buttons next to "Pages" in "Modify all current" section.

I think this would be the easiest way to deal with it. Give it a try please and let me know if it helped.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Benji

Hi Adam,

I didn't go down the route of editing the theme as that is not my speciality. So I installed the plugin and set it up. I have disabled all comments for new pages and existing pages; yet the comments still show.

I also wanted to let you know that the comments were never on the pages before today when I was playing around with plugins (Jetpack, Comments Plus and Ultimate Facebook) to find a comment box I like.

Thanks,
    B

• Dimitris

Hey there Benji,

hope you're doing good and don't mind chiming in!

It seems that the child-theme path is kind of inevitable for this case. But before doing so, could you give a try to the Disable Comments plugin? It's kind of my favourite plugin and almost never got me down, just deactivate and delete the "No page comments" plugin before.

If this has no effect, then you can share some server credentials with me so I could edit your child theme for you and create the page templates without comments. As this is public forum, you must send us your details through our safe contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/ using this template:

Subject: "Attn: Dimitris"
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - WordPress login url
    - FTP credentials OR cPanel/Plesk credentials (host/username/password)
    - link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Dimitris

Hello Benji,

well it's not my plugin but I'm glad that worked for you!

About the white space you mentioned, are we talking about this one?

If so, try using the following CSS rule

body.page .blog-section {
      padding-bottom: 0;
    }

You may have to use a plugin like this to insert this CSS snippet if your theme doesn't provide a section for custom CSS in it's theme options page.

Kind regards,
    Dimitris

• Benji

Hi Dimitris,

Thank you, that CSS has worked.

I have two more questions please:

1. On the search page (https://lawfriend.org/?s) is there any way to make the background completley white with CSS?

2. On the Ultimate Facebook plugin it can import comments, as the facebook app is connected to my facebook account it is trying to import comments from my posts, is there any way to link a fb page from another account so it can import comments from there?

Thanks,
    B

• Dimitris

Hey Benji,

1. On the search page (https://lawfriend.org/?s) is there any way to make the background completley white with CSS?

Try the following CSS rule for that

body.search-results .blog-section .blog-content,
    body.search-results .blog-section .blog-content:before {
      background: #fff !important;
    }

2. On the Ultimate Facebook plugin it can import comments, as the facebook app is connected to my facebook account it is trying to import comments from my posts, is there any way to link a fb page from another account so it can import comments from there?

I just tested that and I can confirm that this should work without any special configuration.

In my test, I simply created and connected my FB app. After doing so, I created a dummy FB page and I shared in there a blog post from my test environment. The FB comment came up in my page after I clicked the "Import comments now (this can take a while)" link from Facebook -> Facebook Settings -> Facebook Comments.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Benji!

My (badly worded) question was how can I import comments if the app is on a different account to the page?

The app used with the Ultimate Facebook plugin has to be authorized for the page so that basically means that the page has to be owned/administered by the same administrator that created/administrate the app. There's no option to fetch comments from the "3rd party" page, unless you could be added as an admin of that page.

I'm not sure about FB API "core" methods though. I suppose that reading (only, not posting) such comments could be possible but it would have to be custom developed.

Kind regards,
    Adam