Ultimate Facebook configuration for Safer Social Network (SSN)

My goal in this round is to (gradually perhaps) provide SSN (BuddyPress) users with the following functionalities:
1. Optional login with facebook credentials/identity.
2. Optional synchronization between FB and SSN profiles (data, pictures, settings), configurable by the user.
3. Mirroring between the users FB wall and SSN personal activity stream. The basic rules:
- whatever is public, spreads both ways.
- whatever is made private (non-public whatever way) within SSN stays within SSN.
- whatever is made non-public within FB is decided by the user whether is spreads to SSN, but the deafult is yes.
3. Mirroring between the groups. SSN groups mapped to FB groups or pages, with the content flowing both ways.
4. Messaging and chat stay separated (we may address it later).

*** I do NOT want to publish posts nor comments from WPMU directly on FB; I only need connectivity through BuddyPress ***

As much as I could understand the description, Ultimate Facebook should provide enough integration for my purposes. Now, after installation and configuration I got to the point where I have my application registered and the config panel shows everything correct (see pics).
I reviewed the configuration while watching the tutorials you recommended (BTW, very well done, thank you for great job).
Now, I can share an item from SSN to FB and it works exactly as expected.
I can also like an item, but it shows nowhere in my FB area -- I could only trace it through my activity log and the permalink there.
Certain things do not work at all:
1. Sharing provides poor presentation of the item shared (see pics).
2. Same pics show that there is no comment exchange (while manual import of comments worked first time, I tried it again after commenting -- no effect).
3. Checking/unchecking "Use Facebook for comments" does not change anything in the interface.
There are also certain questions not covered in the tutorial:
1. What is the role of "use shortlink" checkbox in the Autoposting section?
2. What is the logic and operation of the group synchronisation options?

Best,
Petros

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Petros,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your questions!

This sounds like quite a complex setup so would you main going through it in parts, "step by step"?

1. Optional login with facebook credentials/identity.

This is supported by the plugin an you'll find appropriate settings in your dashboard's "Facebook -> Settings" page -> "Facebook Connect" section.

It can also use Facebook avatars as profile images and automatically update BP activity feed when user registers. When BuddyPress is enabled it also let's you "map" BuddyPress profile fileds to Facebook profile fields, so I guess that partially answers you question number 2 ("Optional synchronization between FB and SSN profiles").

I can also like an item, but it shows nowhere in my FB area -- I could only trace it through my activity log and the permalink there.

Once you like content on your site your FB friends (at least some of them, as we know FB is changing their algorithms frequently) should see a message similar to "Petros Liked an article....". You should also find that info in your FB profile's "activity log". This is actually works the "Facebook way" so I'm not sure if we can change anything about it here :slight_smile:

Certain things do not work at all:
    1. Sharing provides poor presentation of the item shared (see pics).
    2. Same pics show that there is no comment exchange (while manual import of comments worked first time, I tried it again after commenting -- no effect).
    3. Checking/unchecking "Use Facebook for comments" does not change anything in the interface.

Do you think it would be possible for me to take a closer look at you setup via our WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin? You could grant me an access by following this guide:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Let me know here please!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Petros

1. Access granted with pleasure.
    2. The "Login with FB" badge shows.
    3. When I try to login with FB I get rejected, apparently because there is no mapping yet between my SSN account and FB account. _But_ it triggers one-click registration instead, which _should_ go, as the registration is allowed at the level of network settings (-> screenshots).
    4. Which brings a question how to implement FB login/integration for existing SSN users.

I am sure you will be able to help. "Thanks from the mountain", as they say in my home country. :wink:

P.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Petros,

Thanks for your response!

I've visited your site and turned FB registration/login back on for testing. It seems that the FB app is still in "developer mode". In order for this to work, the FB app has to be made public, otherwise it will not let you or anyone else login/register. This may also cause other issues with Ultimate Facebook plugin so I think it would be best to sort this first. You should be able to set app to public via your FB developers console.

As for FB login <-> current user sync. I think in case plugin will detect the same e-mail, it should smartly find out existing user's account. You may also want to enable "Allow Facebook identity renewal" option on "Facebook -> Settings -> Facebook Connect" page and it should let users "change" their FB account associated with your site to the one they're currently using. This should help here.

That said, could you please a) double-check FB app settings on FB developer console side (just to make sure that all necessary steps are complete) and b) make it public? Let me know please if this sorted Login issues and affected remaining FB-related issue.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Petros

Did not work. I switched on the public option at the FB dev interface and turned on all relevant checkboxes within the plugin. No change in behavior, despite the fact the the API stats screen shows over 80 calls and no errors. :disappointed:

I went through couple plugin-related tutorials "how to make the FB app" -- video and static. None of them exactly matches current screen layout, neither FB nor that of plugin. However, I did my best guesswork, to no avail. Perhaps the time has come for a new, updated tutorial.

Now I am turning off the login option, as it apparently discourages people from registering and the website suffers.
    I hope you will find a solution soon -- this is a serious bottleneck for me.

P.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Petros,

Thanks for keeping me informed!

I compared your FB app settings with mine and I admit I'm a bit stuck. I still believe that solving this issue is the first step that should be taken in order to deal with all remaining problems. However, I understand that the live site may not be the best place to conduct too complex experiments on this.

That said, would it be possible that you set up a staging/dev site which we could use for further investigation safely? It would be best if it was initially a "1:1" copy of the live site (e.g. in a sub-folder or under other domain, whatever suits you best). In case you'd need some help on this, here's a handy article on our blog:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/testing-environment-wordpress/

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.