Ultimate Facebook conflicts with Embedly on yasminahasibi.com (WP 3.2.1)

I unfortunately cannot live without Embedly.

Can we please get some support on this ?

• Marc73
    • Flash Drive

Hi David. Thank you for the follow up and I am really sorry I did not properly describe my problem. I don’t know where I had the head.

In fact, immediately after installing ultimate facebook plugin, I noticed that my youtube videos in my posts are not any more working on yasminahasibi.com

Embedly is able to automatically recognize the link to your youtube video and in the rendered page it replaces your link with the full flash embed html code.

After installing Ultimate Facebook, instead of the videos you only see the text link to the video itself.

It is enough to deactivate the Ultimate Facebook for immediately all of the videos to start working again.

Check this please

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/9703/screenhunter03sep220300.jpg

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/1228/screenhunter05sep220302.jpg

Just before submitting this reply I tested again and noticed that:

When Google+1 is activated, the videos are not rendered by Embedly.

When Ultimate Facebook is activated, I get the following Error 500

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/4829/screenhunter04sep220301.jpg

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Marc73,

I take it you’re using the following Embedly plugin to make this happen, correct?

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/embedly/

Any chance you can take a look at the console in Firebug for Firefox or using Google Chrome’s inspection tool and let us know any javascript errors you’re seeing with the two plugins active?

If you can keep the plugins active on the site we can have a look for ourselves.

We’d really just need to see what types of javascript errors are occurring there as that would help us pinpoint the specific issue.

Thanks,

David

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Marc73,

One other thing I didn’t think to check, as this could possibly be caused by other plugins conflicting all at once, have you deactivating other plugins and just keeping Embedly and Ultimate Facebook active?

And also Embedly and Google+?

As we really can’t guarantee compatibility with other plugins such as Embedly, I’m trying to get as much information on the conflict as possible to see if it’s something we can easily remedy.

To that end, can you let us know if there’s anything relevant in your error logs?

Thanks for any additional information you can provide.

-David

• Marc73
    • Flash Drive

deactivated all my plug-ins.

Strangely, videos are showing…… isn’t embedly needed?

activated WPMU DEV Update Notifications. everything is working.

activated Ultimate Facebook: no more videos : Ultimate Facebook is breaking something needed for showing youtube videos.

activated Google +1: no Error 500: so the error was due to a conflict with another plug-in.

activated Embedly: still no videos. but no other errors.

activated Contact Form 7: still fine.

Akismet, still fine.

All in One SEO Pack, fine.

Floating Social, fine.

Google XML Sitemaps with qTranslate Support

Status

Stray Random Quotes

Subpage View

Arabic Comments Number

jQuery Page Peel

SI CAPTCHA Anti-Spam

conclusion: both Google+1 and Ultimate Facebook break something needed to show youtube videos. And somehow, I don’t know how, Embedly is not necessary because even deactivated, the videos are showing.

• Marc73
    • Flash Drive

I double confirm, with the default theme 2011, both Google+1 and Ultimate Facebook break something needed to show youtube videos. After activating any of those two plug-ins, Videos are not shown any more.

Let us be honest and straight forward: I ONLY bought my subscription to wpmudev because of the facebook plug-in. If that can’t work, I don’t really need wpmudev…… most of what I need, if not all, does exist in freeware plug-ins.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Marc73,

Sorry for the delayed response here. I did note your email communication with Phil on this matter and will do my best to see what I can find on this.

That said, if your videos are showing just fine without Embedly, I really don’t know what it is that you’d need Embedly for. Videos can be included on WordPress sites without the need for additional plugins as such.

Given the conflict likely between that plugin and Ultimate Facebook and Google+, if your videos display just fine without it, would it be possible to not use it?

Cheers,

David

• Marc73
    • Flash Drive

Thank you David for your follow up ELEVEN days later…

Even without Google+, the activation of Ultimate Facebook immediately breaks all youtube videos in all posts, with or without embedly.

I have deactivated ALL plug-ins, no exceptions made: youtube videos are working fine.

I activated ONLY Ultimate Facebook. See the attached screen capture: videos are not any more displayed.

Do you need more proof that Utlimate Facebook is buggy and is breaking WordPress code in my context on my server and preventing flash from showing youtube videos?

• Marc73
    • Flash Drive

Error Details:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.3; .NET4.0C)

Timestamp: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 22:51:33 UTC

Line: 843

Char: 10

Code: 0

URI: http://yasminahasibi.com/

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

Indeed, FB stands for Facebook. I noticed there are two initialization calls required by Facebook scripts on your site, which is very likely the source of the issue. Can you please go to your Comments Plus plugin settings and in “Skip loading Facebook javascript” section, check the box that says “Pages on my website already use javascript from Facebook” and see if it helps?

• Marc73
    • Flash Drive

hi and thank you for your answer.

To be able to see clearly where this is coming from, I deactivated ALL the plug-ins.

Then only activated UF…… and the outcome still has an error as you see in the attached capture.

I deactivated every single FB widget in the Widget pack. No help.

I deactivated every single option under the below

Facebook Connect

Facebook Like/Send Button

Facebook OpenGraph

Facebook Comments

Autopost to Facebook

I still got the attached error message.

• Marc73
    • Flash Drive

to exactly answer your question, going to the Comments Plus plugin settings and in “Skip loading Facebook javascript” section, checking the box that says “Pages on my website already use javascript from Facebook” did not help.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

Thank you very much for such a thorough response! Checking the site again, I managed to find an issue that I previously missed. The plugin is trying to respect your locale settings, so it tries to load the localized Facebook javascript resources for “ar” locale. Unfortunately, “ar” is not recognized as valid locale by Facebook, so it then responds with “/* "ar" is not a valid locale. */”, and the required scripts are never loaded.

Taking a look at what locales Facebook supports, it appears that “ar_AR” would be the proper one to use. Is it a reasonable locale for your case? If so, could you please try setting the locale to “ar_AR” in your wp-config.php and see if it helps?

• Marc73
    • Flash Drive

thank you VeBailovity, you nailed it down correctly this time.

YES, if I change the define(‘WPLANG’, ‘ar’:wink:; in config.php, I can activate all the plug-ins, floating social , comments plus, and ultimate facebook included, and still not get the error above.

However, setting the wplang as define(‘WPLANG’, ‘ar_AR’:wink:; breaks the whole wordpress 2011 arabic theme (the official theme!) as the theme (and wordpress) do not understand ar_AR but ar..

When I change the wplang to ar_AR, all the alignments are lost, everything goes LTR instead of RTL…..

What solution can we find to this dilemma?

I realize now we are talking about facebook and wordpress, and not anymore the UF plug-in.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Uh, that is a very serious problem indeed! WordPress and Facebook locale definitions do not match in your case, and that completely rules out automatic locale loading for Facebook we’re trying to do.

As for solution, we’re currently working on a new approach to locale loading in the plugin itself, which will hopefully solve such cases. The default behavior will still be to automatically guess the locale based on your WP settings, but you will also have an option to override that in the plugin settings and manually set which Facebook locale should be loaded. This option will be included in the next plugin release.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

The latest plugin release (v1.4.1, just released) has a new option in plugin settings (under “Facebook API”:wink: that you could use to resolve this situation. The option is named “API Locale”, and has a selection box with a list of locales that FB supports. The default plugin behavior is still to auto-guess your locale, but if that fails, you can use this option to forcefully load the correct locale. I hope this will solve the issue you’re facing.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.