Ultimate Facebook... "Extended Permissions" Confusion.

I'm losing it.. LOL
I installed ultimate facebook - and now it just won't work.
Followed all the necessary steps (i think) but still - the Extended Permissions simply will not do anything. I've tried 40 or 50 times. I cannot for the life of me - figure out what is wrong. I've done this before - and had no problems at all... but for some reason - this time it just pukes all over ... *sigh*

• aecnu

Greetings BigCat,

Followed all the necessary steps (i think) but still - the Extended Permissions simply will not do anything. I've tried 40 or 50 times. I cannot for the life of me - figure out what is wrong. I've done this before - and had no problems at all... but for some reason - this time it just pukes all over ... *sigh*

Though you told us it pukes all over, are then any specific errors that you are getting?

Any clues being offered in your hosting error logs?

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• BigCat

HAHA, well - "pukes all over" isn't exactly the right way to put it I guess... No there's no errors - no errors logged anywhere. I can see the outline of a dialogue box popping up - but it never actually materializes.
    There are no pop-up blockers turned on either. I've reset the secret a couple times too. I wonder if there are any WPMUDEV staff or support folks who might be willing to just go set it up for me?

• BigCat

is it possible i'm trying to use the wrong plugin?
    Perhaps I should explain my goal here...
    I've created a page on facebook... iTekky - this page is an open page which would allow fans to post images and videos and whatever. I have the wordpress site - itekky.com - which I would like to display all the posts from the facebook page as a "PinBoard" layout similar to Pinterest, but then I would like other categories on the WP site to post automatically back to Facebook. So long as they don't both post to/from the same category we shouldn't be creating any "loops".

Is "Ultimate Facebook" the correct plugin to accomplish this? Or should I be seeking out something else? Call me crazy - but It just seems like a very useful tool when used this way.

• Pete T

I too, am having problems with extended permissions. I'd like to post to a facebook fan page that I'm an admin of. The dialog states that I must be an admin of the page, and must grant extended permissions. When I click on "Grant extended permissions" a blank popup appears then goes away. If i click "move on to next step" or save it seems that I am still unable to choose a page to post to in the "Autopost to Facebook" section. Of course, I'm assuming that the pages I am an admin for will suddenly appear in the "Autopost to XX" dropdowns. Otherwise I see no method for posting to my fan page.

• DBeeksma

It works great for me (posting to my Facebook Fan Page). When you set up your application, be sure that you have the site URL in the Facebook application. Once everything is set up there and your API and secret # look good, keep going through the steps in the plugin, and you need to allow access to all of your Facebook accounts. It will initially pull up your personal Facebook page, and then you'll see the Fan Page(s) and whatever applications you have that were created with your personal FB account. If your Fan Page has the same name as your blog, it might be confusing because the Facebook ID # is not in it...this confused me at first because there is no # assigned to the title of the Fan Page.

In the autopost to Facebook section, there's a "map wordpress types." On the posts (the first line), be sure to select "post to wall" (assuming you want your posts there) and then in the second column, select your page which should appear (it won't have the Facebook # behind it, just the name of your Fan Page).

If you didn't allow access the first time, just uninstall the plugin and start over. It should work.

• aecnu

Greetings BigCat,

Time has shown a common solution to "the Extended Permissions simply will not do anything" problem and we should check it out to see if this is also why your having such a problem with it.

The issue usually relates to the url shown in your Ultimate Facebook admin area not being used as it is printed on the page.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/ultimate-facebook-grant-extended-permissions-do-not-display?replies=13#post-182109

Admin --> Network Admin --> Ultimate Facebook --> Settings.

On the first accordion are instructions on which url to use in your Facebook App along with the exact url you need to use.

Let me know if that resolves the issue for you.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• BigCat

Hi Joe,

There is a tick box at the beginning of the setup process (bottom of first page) which says: "Prevent access to my linked accounts" It doesn't really state which pages it is referring to... so I made the mistake of assuming it was referring to the WordPress pages on the "local" site. What it really means is: "Restrict UltimateFacebook to your personal facebook profile data."

This has been an ongoing "issue" for me with WPMUdev products. The options listed are worded or categorized in a way that leaves me unsure of how to understand it. My natural assumption (for whatever reason) was that it restricted my "Pages" on WordPress from accessing facebook. So any local MU users would not be permitted access to my copy of UltimateFacebook.

Managed to figure it all out yesterday - just hadn't come in to the Forums to update it yet.

• Aaron

Thanks for sharing that. That is on the Facebook generated page, right? How would you recommend we modify the instructions to avoid this confusion for other users?

The toughest challenge we always face when developing our products here is usability. We've been trying really hard, but there are always little things that trip up someone somewhere that none of us could have predicted. Best we can do is learn from these instances, and improve as we go.

I also want to apologize for this thread. It definitely appears it was dropped in a totally unacceptable way by our support staff. It never should have been left that long in an opened state. I ask that you try to look past this instance. We've been dealing with some major changes in our support staff the last few weeks, loosing 2/3, and training up and hiring 4 replacements.

I trust that your next issue will be resolved in a much more satisfactory matter.

• BigCat

Hi Aaron.

To help avoid mis-understandings in the options of a plugin, the first step might be to alter the way they are presented. Most of your plugins are either a "standard", "MultiUser", "Buddypress" or "MuBuddypress" install. Having a "settings tab" for each of those categories would definitely be a more intuitive approach. Even if there's no options available on one of those tabs (depending on the plugin) it might be a good way to standardize everything.

"Plain English" also goes a long way. Most of the WPMuDev plugins are fairly good in this regard - but every now and then - there's a missing period, or a typo that likely has more to do with your particular localization. A more universally accepted vernacular would help that.

In this particular case - lack of clarity is the culprit. In which case - "Plain English" is the solution.
    The option in question could simply say: "Include permissions to post to ANY of your Facebook pages?" Then - the explanation behind the tick-box - could explain that specific pages can be selected later in the setup. As well - any options which effect how permissions are granted - might better be included on the same tab as the "Granting Extended Permissions".

That's just a bit of insight. I know as a developer - it is often difficult to forget that you know what you're talking about when writing instructions or offering "options". It's not easy "dummying down" for those who haven't been living and breathing the code for the past number of months or years.

Ok, enough of my drivel.
    Cheers!

• Timothy Bowers

Hey BigCat.

Arun is currently writing the new documents for Ultimate Facebook, I'll be sure to nudge him in this direction so he can take your feedback into consideration.

We are working on the documents area, sadly its lacked a little but we want to better that. Recently the Domain Mapping, Events, Snapshot and Donations plugin have been done. I'm currently working on the new Membership plugin (due soon).

Many of our plugins no include the new feature pointer feature of WordPress to also walk through the set up within a plugin for first time users. This should greatly enhance user experience.

Thanks for taking the time to provide you feedback here, if there is anything else then please let us know.

Its great to see you got this figured out yesterday. :slight_smile:

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.