Ultimate Facebook fails to connect to FB API

Hello,

I've been trying to connect to the FB API but keep getting bugged by the notification 'Please, enter correct Facebook API settings'. I've read my way around multiple forum threads concerning this error notification and re-created the FB App multiple times with different settings, but this error keeps popping up - refraining me from succesfully connecting to the FB API.
At first I received an error stating the current domain is not a Valid OAuth redirect URI when manually sending a post to the FB wall, but I managed to resolve that error. But still, no post gets sent to the page's wall, not manually or when set to auto-post. So I guess the only thing left to configure is the FB App settings in such a way so Ultimate Facebook can connect to the FB API.
Could someone please look into this matter and help me on my way?

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey @Johan,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

I understand you already created the App multiple times but could you have another look on the guide from thread below to make sure you didn't miss anything:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-do-we-use-ultimate-facebook-plugin-with-the-new-app-ver-20?replies=5#post-884161

If you're still having issues with that could you add my test FB account as admin for your app so I could check the settings myself and also grant support access to your site in question so we can investigate this further?
    FB ID to add admin: 100008799491488

To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Johan,

Looks like there's something more complicated going on with your installation, I tried connecting your APP since the settings are correct, and I also tried with one of my Apps that I use for these kinds of tests and they were both unable to connect.

Can you try disabling your other plugins so we can see if there's any conflict on that end that's blocking FB from connecting?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Johan

Hi Predrag,

Momentarily unfortunately its impossible to switch plugins on/off simply because the site is being used by our clients in this live instance.
    At this time there are 7 websites running in this multisite network and I'm doing my best to get 60 sites up and running. So, I think you would understand when I say that I need to take a different approach in this matter...

The only thing I could find after inspecting the included plugin files thoroughly was the following:
    Facebook includes a piece of JS twice, which could point to what's going on here. (see enclosed attachment)
    xd_arbiter.php gets called via both a http and an https and echoes a piece of inline JS, twice.

My options are exhausted at this time, and I have looked for conflicting matters that could be the cause of this situation. This is my best find at this moment.
    I've always loved the services WPMU has to offer and the level of expertise in this community is much appreciated. I bet I'll be a long-time fan :wink:
    Could you please help me find a different approach to this problem?

Best regards,
    Johan Oldenburg

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Johan,

Plugin conflict is the best thing to start with as it tells where to look and focus.

Another thing we could try is for me to try creating similar setup as your site for some further testing so I can see if the issue is in plugins or perhaps server related.

We can go two ways about this, you can provide me with your cPanel login details so I could download your plugins and themes, or you can you can use our Snapshot plugin to create full backup of your site and send that file to me so I can import it on my installation.

You can send us your details or link to download your snapshot using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/ and the template below:

IMPORTANT: Make sure you select "I have a different question" for your topic so it doesn't go back to forums - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Subject: "Attn: Predrag Dubajic"
    - file download URL
    OR
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - login url
    - cPanel credentials (host/username/password)

- link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Johan,

Thanks for sending that in.

I tested your plugins on my installation and was still able to connect to facebook, I was unable to test with WordPress MU Domain mapping since I was doing it on single installation so perhaps you can try just disabling this plugin to test if that could be the issue.

If it's still not working after that I would suggest contacting your hosting provider to see if there's anything in server settings that could be blocking connection.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Johan

Hi Predrag,

First of all, thanks for checking out the whole multisite installation, you guys are the best!!

Regarding your suggestions; I could try and disable WP MU Domain Mapping but that would destroy the multi-domain foundation of the multisite network so this approach to solving the problem won't be an option. I could of course switch the plugin on/off as a debugging step, but deactivation is impossible.
    Getting in touch with my hosting provider won't be difficult, because the server admin and webmaster/developer of this multisite network are one and the same person, namely: me :slight_smile:

So, in the light of that: what/where would you suggest to look for when debugging the Ultimate Facebook FB API connection in relation to the server settings/config? Where would you suggest me to start out?

PS even though I have subscribed to this thread from the start, I unfortunately did not receive any notifications of new messages that got posted along the way. Anything going wrong here?

Best regards,
    Johan Oldenburg

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Johan.

I was referring to temporarily disabling domain mapping, sorry I was unclear about that, this will help us pinpointing the issue since this issue turned out to be something we didn't see before.

If you contact your host about this they should be able to see from their logs if there's anything blocking FB API on their end.

PS even though I have subscribed to this thread from the start, I unfortunately did not receive any notifications of new messages that got posted along the way. Anything going wrong here?

That's strange, we did have issue with email notifications one day for few hours but that was about two or three weeks and it was fixed immediately.
    Does it say in sidebar that you are assigned to this thread?
    Can you re-subscribing?
    And, of course, did you check your spam/junk folder to see if emails ended up there? :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.