Ultimate Facebook + Membership

Hi Everyone,

I did some searching on the topic of Ultimate Facebook + Membership and did not find what I was looking for, but some comments that the two plugins may not be design compatible.

I'm setting up a network that will require forced Facebook registration and login. That's all working just fine. I also need a paid membership capability for support via bbPress.

When I activate and setup the Membership plugin, everything works as expected, however, I don't see a way to offer a subscription upgrade from free membership to paid membership. Is there a shortcode for this?

Thanks in advance,
David

• aecnu

Greetings David,

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

When I activate and setup the Membership plugin, everything works as expected, however, I don't see a way to offer a subscription upgrade from free membership to paid membership. Is there a shortcode for this?

I am not aware of any short code for this per say but believe this could be best handled by one of two ways:

a. using Membership levels to force this --> from site admin --> Membership --> Subscription Plans --> Free Membership Plan (edit) --> Membership levels --> Put next level so it is following the Free Membership level in this section.

b. With membership widget to be shown to free members --> Site Dashboard --> Membership --> Add-ons --> Membership Widget activated

Now to go to Appearance --> Widgets --> place widget in desired widget area and select to be shown to free members.

Thanks again for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

If this thread is not resolved because the suggested action did not work or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

• bynon

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the detailed suggestion. I'm going to give this a try now and see how it works.

As an FYI, I tried the S2Member plugin last night to see if it would work in this situation. I had my doubts, but it worked flawlessly. The reason it worked is because they have shortcodes for upgrades (e.g., PayPal Buy Now Button). This seems a far more logical and flexible method than trying to encapsulate an upgrade path in a member's account.

Is it possible to pass this on to the developers as an option modification for a future release? Also, while I realize that the Membership plugin needs to control the registration process, it seems reasonable that site owners will want Facebook Connect to be a registration gateway. It seems an easy solution to have an option in the Ultimate Facebook plugin that ties into the requirements for the Membership plugin (i.e., as for the membership level to set when a person registers via Facebook.

Thanks!

David

• bynon

Joe,

As a follow-up I tried your recommendation. I guess I was thinking that the Membership Widget you suggested was going to be the magic bullet. No joy. It lets you detect a member level and shoot out a message, but there's no path to an upgrade button.

Is the only path to member upgrades through the [accountform] shortcode? If so, I think this is a broken process because it means anyone that joined the site prior to installing the Membership plugin can't play.

Thanks for your assistance.

David

• bynon

Hi Kimberly,

Thanks for the follow-up. I thought my post was going to go unanswered. Anyway, after 12-15 hours invested looking at various potential solutions, I put it away to finish my Facebook Page theme programming.

It would be nice to know what the developers are planning. I think that a lot of opportunities are being lost by not having the combined capabilities of Pro Sites and Membership. Let me offer just one example.

Web hosting and blog hosting are a cutthroat business. However, good service is always valuable. One of my goals is to offer blog hosting at competitive rates AND sell multiple levels of support via membership. To make that possible, the handling of members, sign-up process and the products they purchase needs to be standardized. That's hardly the case with Pro Sites and Membership.

Also, it would be very beneficial if Pro Sites offered the ability to sell services to members and have the entire purchase history tracked. This way we can offer installation and customization type services as an option at the point of sale or when a customer wants to improve their site.

Currently I offer my clients:

- Hosting
    - Site design
    - Customizing
    - SEO
    - Copywriting
    - Site migration
    - Support

It's a total pain in the neck to track one-time sales and recurring sales in 2-3 different systems.

Anyway, that's my input and I'd love to hear from some of the other members.

Thanks,
    David

• Kimberly

David,

Your wish is coming through loud and clear :slight_smile:

I agree that better functionality between the two would benefit our members on many levels.

There have been other requests like yours and I believe that something is being considered, so hopefully something will emerge soon!

I'll mark you as resolved but move you to the feedback forums and tag our Sales Pro, he'll be able to tell you what's coming down the pipeline better than I.

Thanks for your patience and I hope you get more feedback from other users, It would be great to get more ideas for application of this integration.

Best,

Kimberly

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.