Ultimate Facebook periodically loses extended permissions

We are to get UF to just show some FB albums with [wdfb] shortcode.

At an undefined point in time, usually measured in a few days after last "Grant extended permissions", FB galleries don't load and plugin has reverted to not having extended permissions.

There's nothing clearly visible in the error logs. How to debug?

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

lkraav

Hi and welcome to WPMU forums :slight_smile:

I am hoping you can give me a couple more details about your issue:

how often is this happening? and are you able to re-grant permissions again after you find it has lost it's settings?

I might have an idea of what's happening but I will need to pull someone more senior to help, just want to make sure I am on the right track :slight_smile:

Best
    Kimberly

• lkraav
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I have not been able to identify a solid time period when this is guaranteed to happen. Usually we have done our testing once a week and then we notice albums are empty.

Yes re-granting permissions works every time. So far.

I *think* another pattern we have identified is that when the person that is assigned as that FB page's admin, if he loads the albums shortcode page, galleries show up. After that galleries also work for other people loading the page. Does this make any sense?

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Ikraav,

Thanks for responding with more information. :slight_smile:

I'm going to tag the developer on this one as I think I've seen a similar problem before on another thread.

In the meantime, you could check and make sure there are no conflicts with any other plugins that you have installed.

Hang in there, we'll get it fixed!

Kimberly

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings lkraav,

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• lkraav

It is impossible to tell and experience says cache shouldn't be able to break it like it does. Today it happened again at a customer demo session with multiple people not being able to see the gallery.

http://www.director.ee/klubi/

This is the page, with dated subpages listed there, that (are supposed to) have galleries. Feel free to browse and see if anything loads up for you. In case of failing load, there's is a narrow gray rectangle in the bottom of the page.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings lkraav,

Yes I see it, I have included a screen shot below to insure we are on the same path and for our lead developer to see other then the URL for further diagnosis.

I'll try to get the lead developer of Ultimate Facebook in here asap to offer us advice/advise us to what could possibly be causing this.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings lkraav,

Just touching base with you to let you know that I have pinged the developer in on this the other day for his valuable input on what may be causing this issue.

I have gone ahead and flagged him again and thank you for your patience.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings lkraav,

Just letting you know that there are several folks having issues with this plugin and that I believe the developer will have a new release out sometime in the near future that will address most if not all of these anomalies.

We have certainly not forgotten about this.

Cheers, Joe

• lkraav

This is not resolved. On the page mentioned above:

"Vaata varem toimunud Directori klubi üritusi!"

26. aprill 2012
    9. veebruar 2012
    24. november 2011
    15. september 2011
    2. juuni 2011

I went through all the club pages with a clean browser profile. Galleries would not show up.

I would then go through all the club pages with my regular working profile, that has my FB logged in all the time. All galleries would show.

After this, all galleries would also start showing in my clean profile.

But surely the plugin is not supposed require the end user to be logged into FB to be able to display galleries?

I am also not able to immediately figure out why the galleries would all start showing in different browser profiles after they have succeeded once in some profile for whatever reason. Browser profiles don't know about each other, don't share cookies, only common denominator is the IP. UF plugin doesn't save some magic IP-based success data that let's it temporarily "work" for a specific IP, does it?

There is nothing in the Error Log page. Is there any way to turn debug all the way up to 11 on this thing?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings lkraav,

Appreciate you feedback and sorry to hear that this issue persists.

Let's give a couple of weeks and see how it holds up, I will mark it resolved then.

I am sorry to report this is not going to happen, allowing the ticket to sit a couple of weeks that is.

We will keep after it until the issue is resolved one way or another.

Are you running Buddy Press by any chance?
    WordPress 3.3.1?
    MultiSite?

How much php memory is being allotted for php processes?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• lkraav

No BuddyPress.
    No MultiSite.
    WordPress 3.3.1.

from phpinfo():
    memory_limit 128M 128M

Re ticketing in general, I guess I'm used to high level tools like bugzilla which takes care of management by various queries. I have no idea what your manager side of this forum looks like, so not going to speculate.

Anyway, just tried loading http://www.director.ee/klubi/9-veebruar-2012/ and no galleries. Ability to load them seems to somehow time out. There is nothing with today's date in Error Log, and this is something I don't get. If the plugin is not able to fetch stuff, shouldn't it be logged?

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Hi!

Just checking in :slight_smile:

I'm guessing that because we haven't heard back from you that you've got your issue worked out! If you are still having problems or need any other answers on this particular topic please feel free to come back to this thread at anytime. Just be sure to mark it Not Resolved so we don't miss it!

Thanks for using the WPMU forums!

Best,
    Kimberly

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings lkraav

There is nothing with today's date in Error Log, and this is something I don't get. If the plugin is not able to fetch stuff, shouldn't it be logged?

Not if it is a PHP timeout, it will have timed out before it could be logged.

Speaking of which, earlier you showed the phpinfo memory_limit, relative to time and timing out, in phpinfo what is the max_execution_time set to?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• lkraav

Kimberly, "Depreciate offline access" was unchecked. We have now enabled it in Facebook and received "Changes saved. Note that your changes may take several minutes to propagate to all servers." for confirmation.

• lkraav

I'm up on UF 2.1 now and I think it looks promising. I just noticed I posted a staging area URL above (with "markitekt" in URL), could you guys with past post edit capabilities replace it with: http://www.director.ee/klubi/9-veebruar-2012/

If whoever is following this issue, go ahead and load that page and the gallery shows up, I guess there's a high probability this problem is indeed fixed.

At the same time, we have now noticed the lightbox loading bar stays on the screen indefinitely when you click on any of the pictures. Not sure if we can just continue looking at that here or if I should post another topic about that.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings lkraav,

I have gone ahead and changed the URL as you had indicated your preference.

We have now noticed the lightbox loading bar stays on the screen indefinitely when you click on any of the pictures. Not sure if we can just continue looking at that here or if I should post another topic about that.

Yes please that way the developer does not need to look through all the fog of this ticket to get right to the meat which will be presented in the new ticket.

Cheers, Joe

• lkraav

Had another case today where my admin role customer was not able to see the gallery that she had just added at http://www.director.ee/klubi/26-aprill-2012/

I jumped in, loaded the page on my browser, gallery is immediately visible to me. After that she exclaims "It loads for me too, now!"

So the pattern of these "magic reloads" still seems to be intact.

EDIT: i just repeated this on my own computer. There's a list of galleries at bottom of http://www.director.ee/klubi/. Opened a Google Chrome session (no FB login), browsed to http://www.director.ee/klubi/24-november-2011/, no gallery. Reloaded the same page in my Firefox (FB is logged in), gallery loads. After this, gallery loads in Chrome as well.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings lkraav,

As I am sure that you are aware, we are still awaiting developer input on the issues within this ticket and hope me makes an appearance in here sooner then later.

Thank you for your magnificent patience as we seem to making progress at a snails pace concerning this particular ticket.

Sincerely, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings lkraav,

Just touching base with you to let you know where we are with this ticket.

Today both I and the lead developer visited your site and could not find the gallery, just the border of where it should be.

We could not come up with a single reason why they were not functioning.

So from a Facebook Dev person, he gave the following post while I was complaining about Facebook. They have at the time of that posting 866 unresolved issues:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/fbs-change-in-api-for-remote-access#post-227743

So as you can see we are at a standstill on this at the moment, and while I was typing this I came up with a question, is the gallery rendered from Facebook?

If not, where does the gallery acquire it's images?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• lkraav

Thanks for sticking with it. I'm not sure I 100% understand the question, but the gallery is rendered using wdfb shortcode.

[wdfb_album id="10150423996127259" photo_class="thickbox" album_class="galerii" columns="5" photo_width="80" photo_height="80" limit="100" crop="true"]

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings lkraav,

Right now there are so many issues with Facebook it is hard to tell anything anymore.

Their own similar plugin is not working right and even before they released it they had 866 unresolved issues awaiting to be addressed.

A short time ago a Facebook developer disclosed Facebook has over 866 unresolved issues.

I do not think we will have a chance to get this even close to working right until Facebook gets some of these issues resolved that started in March and have persisted. I do not expect things to settle down for a couple of months because they are going to drop another hammer at the beginning of July.

So hold tight and I will stay with it too.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings lkraav,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.