Ultimate facebook plugin not auto-posting to my wall or displaying comments

I just downloaded the latest version today, installed it, and everything seems to work fine except for those two problems.

Problem #1
I made sure the "Use Facebook for comments" is checked. "Override WordPress discussion settings" is also checked.

But it's still the Wordpress comment system that appears!

Problem #2
Plugin is not auto-posting to my wall.

I made sure that "Allow autoposting new posts to Facebook" is checked, and the apps has post to wall access.
"HenryPena.Info may post status messages, notes, photos, and videos to my Wall"
and the "Autopost Post to Wall" is selected w/ "Me" in the user box.

But when I post on my blog, it doesn't autopost to my wall.

Please help!

• promanager

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the tip. It wasn't exactly it, but it got me on track.

I edited the woo theme's comments.php to just have these lines and the facebook comment worked.

<div id="comments_wrap">
    <?php comment_form(); ?>
    </div> <!-- end #comments_wrap -->

However, it is still displaying the default Wordpress comments form.

I made sure this checkbox in the plugin settings was checked: "Override WordPress discussion settings"

I even unchecked the Wordpress Discussion settings: "Allow people to post comments on new articles"

Still, the comments form appears.

I've tried this on two different wordpress installations, with the same results.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

~Henry~

• Vladislav

Hi,

It is possible that theme doesn't check the comment permissions at comment form generation/output time. However, there is a workaround and, seeing as you're already comfortable with editing theme files, it should be an easy one too.

Facebook plugin tries to find a location where to inject comments by using a hook. The default hook it uses can be changed if needed - sometimes themes come without the hook we use, sometimes it just doesn't look good there, hence the option for this.

First, we'll need a hook for the plugin to hook up to. You could either take a look at your comments.php for executed hooks (calls to do_action("my_hook_name")), or even simpler, add a hook of your own. You can do that by adding something like this to your theme in the place you want Facebook Comments to appear:

<?php do_action("my_hook_name"); ?>

... where "my_hook_name" is the name of your hook. It can be anything you want, but it's probably best to come up with something fairly unique.

So, now we have an insertion point but it won't do anything just yet - we need to tell the plugin to use it. To do so, go to plugin settings > Facebook Comments and take a look at the last option there, labeled "Use a custom hook (advanced)". In the text field, you'll want to enter your hook name (without quotes or anything). For an example, if you used "my_hook_name", it would look like this: http://i52.tinypic.com/34raow5.png

Once you save the settings, you should have the comments appear in the place where you added your hook.

Of course, instead of changing your theme you can just scan your comments.php for an existing hook and just use that by entering its name in the "Use a custom hook" field.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.