Ultimate Facebook refresh problem.

Hi,
I'm using the Ultimate Facebook plugin with the "BP Social" themem from wpmu dev, and I've been having this refresh problem. I'm trying to track down where it's coming from. The easiest example is right on my logged-out homepage.

Here, I've added the [wdfb_connect] shortcode into the theme below the regular registration. It seems to be doing an endless Ajax-type refresh, loading the button over and over. I had the same problem, adding the "Like" buttons to posts and articles, except it would refresh the entire page every couple of seconds. This one has been a real problem for the site. Do you have any suggestions?
You can view this behavior on my live site, on the front page http://steubenonline.com

(I have asked the same question to the theme developer, in case the issue lies there, but I'm doubtful)

• Alexander

Hi Paul, I don't have login credentials. Thanks for jumping on here to take a look!

@Dave, If you'd like, we can log in to take a look for you. Just send them via the contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

- Choose "I have a different question"
    - Include my name in the subject "Alexander Rohmann"
    - Include a link back to this thread
    - Include any relavent login information.

This way they'll come through to me automatically, and I can get them passed over to Paul.

Take care!

• Paul

@Dave,

When I view the site in Firefox + Firebox I'm showing a message

"Invalid App ID: The provided app ID is invalid."

Can you double check the settings on both Ultimate FB as well as Chat if you are using the Chat Facebook authentication. You can share the same FB ID and secret for both plugins.

I've re-enabled the chat plugin, now my Facebook logon shortcode doesn't even show

Where were you showing the FB login shortcode? Below the login form?

• Dave

I think I'm going to just drop chat from the site.
    Right now I just don't have the time available to go much more in-depth on a "niceity."

I had disabled the facebook login integration in the chat plugin. If I understand correctly, that would allow users to chat without being members of the site. (Not really what I want) I'd rather have them register as a site user (With facebook, if they choose) and then have the chat app on let site-registered users chat.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how the chat authentication works.
    Personally, I don't see why the chat app has to handle authentication, besides checking of a user is logged on, at all. It just makes things WAY to complex to set-up and remember why a user has logged in to what, and only has access to what. Just seems like a support nightmare when they can chat, but not access the rest of the site. Again, maybe I'm missing a fundamental principle of how the chat app authenticates. But it all seems too convoluted.

• Paul

@Dave,

I think I'm going to just drop chat from the site.
    Right now I just don't have the time available to go much more in-depth on a "niceity."

Please don't give up just yet. See below about the BP-Social theme.

I had disabled the facebook login integration in the chat plugin. If I understand correctly, that would allow users to chat without being members of the site. (Not really what I want) I'd rather have them register as a site user (With facebook, if they choose) and then have the chat app on let site-registered users chat.

correct, since you have FB login as part of the site you don't really need to also have FB login as part of chat. Once the user is authenticated via FB + WP then chat will see then as a WP user.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how the chat authentication works.
    Personally, I don't see why the chat app has to handle authentication, besides checking of a user is logged on, at all. It just makes things WAY to complex to set-up and remember why a user has logged in to what, and only has access to what. Just seems like a support nightmare when they can chat, but not access the rest of the site. Again, maybe I'm missing a fundamental principle of how the chat app authenticates. But it all seems too convoluted.

See my previous comment. Having the Facebook, Twitter, Google+ as part of chat is for those site that don't want to use other plugins like Ultimate FB, etc. when using the Ultimate FB is creates a real WP user and associates the WP user with the FB credentials. So they are linked. But via chat this is just a simple FB authentication and does not treat them as WP users local to the site. follow?

So the issue is with your theme. Actually our theme. I was just able to reproduce this on my local system. In the theme file bp-social/_inc/js/wpmudev-theme.js there is a set of code which is call for AJAX call made by chat.

/* Facebook parse */
    	$(document).ajaxComplete(function(){
    		try{
    			FB.XFBML.parse();
    		}catch(ex){}
    	});

So as chat polls the server it is calling the Facebook parse command. This does not actually reload the page. Just you notice the effect like the browser is reloading. In Firefox I see the spinner going. So what happens is Chat polls the server. Then this theme function kicks in. The key line is below which basically reads for and AJAX complete call this function. So this effects not only chat but any other plugin you might have installed that is doing AJAX.

$(document).ajaxComplete

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.